Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got another boat last year, and then got a lowrance elite ti to go with it around Christmas. I had researched making satellite maps before, but never downloaded software to do it since I had no boat or gps for it. Now that I have them, of course, I cannot find the download for the Insight Map Creator software anywhere. Apparently Navico took it down on their site, because the links I have found go to a dead page. Anyone know a bit-torrent or other something that still has the software available for download? At some point in time, I may travel more and get full use of something like ISLA's FMT maps. But, for now, with two young kids I fish 2-3 areas in the FL panhandle and LA a few times a year, which isn't worth $1200 for me.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I hate to dissuade you from trying it out but the truth is to create something more than a useless cartoon for your Lowrance, additional GIS software is required to properly format and assemble the data for the IMC. The cost of that alone would be far more than 1,200. Thus, the cost of the charts you could buy is a drop in the bucket compared to the time and cost of the investment you would have trying to successfully learn and use the IMC. And if you want to format any Vector data for your map as well as your images you can add more GIS software that will cost even more. And if you are interested in creating a decent map for something larger than your backyard lake, you will need quite a bit of PC power and terrabytes of Storage space. Also, there are no decent directions for the IMC available and no support for it other than an overseas blog that boots up in a foreign language. It's not worth trying to mess with it unless you are a glutton for frustration and want to make a decent investment in time and hard costs. And that does not even cover the time and effort and cost to acquire the raw data for the chart.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,169 Posts
Would you guys be working on mapping for Texas? Sure would be nice to have TMT (TX Marine Tracks) similar to FMT.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts