Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

· Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After decades away from baitcasters, I'm going to pick one up for pitching plugs and soft plastics as close as possible to south FL mangrove shorelines for snook and reds.

Abu Garcia Revo, Okuma Komado, Quantum Tour S3, Shimano? I'm not sure what to consider these days. I do get hefty discounts on Okuma and Quantum but price is not really a concern so I don't want that to sway my purchase.

What is the best out there regardless of price for this purpose, and why?

What type of braking should I be looking for?

· Registered
119 Posts
I have used Shimano Calcutta (400) and Diawa Coastal. Just make sure that the reel is salt water compatible unless you do not care about longevity. In my opinion the rod is more important to what you are throwing than the reel. I use mine for plugs and 3/4 oz bucktail jigs pass fishing for snook.

· Registered
5 Posts
I have the Daiwa Tatula SV TW, and it performs really well in the salt. I use it most of the year up here in NJ for stripers, flounder, blues, and weakfish pitching artificials of some sort or another, and after the first year I have no complaints. I just give it a good rinsing of light spray from the hose after every session, loosen the drag, and that's it. I will full lube the inside this winter ala Alan Tani and his website, but most people will not go that far to maintain a reel.

Other options are the Curado's, the new Shimano SLX XT, or some of the Lew's reels. Go on Youtube and see what people are using. Good luck with whatever you get.

· Registered
653 Posts
I recently got a Shimano Chronarch 150hg. What a smooth reel! Besides Shimano, Lews and 13 fishing’s concept reels also have a following here in Texas. Baitcasting reels are the standard inshore in Texas.

I fly fish more than use the baitcasting set up, but I don’t see how you could do very much better than the Chronarch. Light weight, silky smooth and casts a mile. Not a high capacity reel, but a small diameter braid helps.

· Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I recently got a Shimano Chronarch 150hg. What a smooth reel! Besides Shimano, Lews and 13 fishing’s concept reels also have a following here in Texas. Baitcasting reels are the standard inshore in Texas.

I fly fish more than use the baitcasting set up, but I don’t see how you could do very much better than the Chronarch. Light weight, silky smooth and casts a mile. Not a high capacity reel, but a small diameter braid helps.
Do you know what the difference is between the 150HGG and 151HGG is? I can't find a guide to their codes anywhere. Looks like the 150XGG has a different gear ratio.

Nevermind..... 151 is the left hand retrieve.

The 13 fishing looks interesting

· Registered
76 Posts
I have a few bait casters but since I mainly use a spinning outfit a left handed reel feels the best in my hands. Don't know what your preference is but if you do prefer a left handed reel it will limit you options by half. Personal preference is a Shimano Calcutta 201B

· Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a few bait casters but since I mainly use a spinning outfit a left handed reel feels the best in my hands. Don't know what your preference is but if you do prefer a left handed reel it will limit you options by half. Personal preference is a Shimano Calcutta 201B
After throwing spinners for 30 years, it has to be left handed.

· Registered
2005 East Cape Gladesman. 2005 Panga Marine 22.
6,511 Posts
I have the Daiwa Tatula SV TW, and it performs really well in the salt. I use it most of the year up here in NJ for stripers, flounder, blues, and weakfish pitching artificials of some sort or another, and after the first year I have no complaints. I just give it a good rinsing of light spray from the hose after every session, loosen the drag, and that's it. I will full lube the inside this winter ala Alan Tani and his website, but most people will not go that far to maintain a reel.

Other options are the Curado's, the new Shimano SLX XT, or some of the Lew's reels. Go on Youtube and see what people are using. Good luck with whatever you get.
I have 2 tatulas and so far am very pleased with them. The Abu revo has a little lever on the side that access the bearings which easily comes detached if your not careful so I would stay away from that reels just my 2 cents. You get some funny looks at the ramp though whenever you use (bass gear) for saltwater fishing is what one person told me whenever I was putting in the boat.

· I Love microskiff.com!
3,076 Posts
Lots of people getting reels this year, looks everywhere is sold out of the Chronarch G in left hand retireve. At $280, not sure to go with that or the Lews Pro ti for $350.

UPDATE: screw it, just ordered the Lews Pro Ti left hand for $290 on Amazon Prime. Now, I just need a casting rod.
Falcon Coastal for $90 would be a nice match.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.