Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Inshore artificial rod?

8348 52
Looking to pair a bg 3000 with a decent rod, any good suggestions? Looking to not spend 200 on a rod, I have a Shimano but it's just too heavy to throw plastics all day so I'm going to put my clash on it for heavier application. Thinking medium action 6/7 ft one piece. Interested to hear yalls go to's.
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
You might want to give Sierra trading post a look. They normally have a decent amount of tfo and st croix products at a pretty deep discount. I just ordered a pair of tfo casting rods with a msrp of $169 each for $59 a piece. Although, their inventory on spinning rods is a little low right now..
I was at Bass Pro a few days ago, looking for the same thing-their store brand rod was a perfect fit for me-a bit over 7',great action,looked good -and only 50.00.Just couldn't say no, bought 2 of 'em,and put my old Quantem 40's on them and use them primarily for light jigs with plastics.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
607 Posts
You haven't given us your budget other than you don't want to spend $190 or $200. Assuming $100 is in budget, my favorite is the Fenwick HMG. I have an arsenal of rods that are in the $180-250 range, and my Fenwich HMGs still make the cut for throwing soft plastics and jigs.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
17,668 Posts
A vote for star rods here.
I was in Florida on business with the GF last year and she got me a guided snook trip. I used the guide’s Star rods and they were surprisingly nice and light. I was expecting them to be cheapo judging by the name and they were guide boat rods but very nice. He said their warranty is unbeatable too.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No set budget just know if like to spend less than like 150 ish, this is what I was wanting though some folks preference on what they use
You haven't given us your budget other than you don't want to spend $190 or $200. Assuming $100 is in budget, my favorite is the Fenwick HMG. I have an arsenal of rods that are in the $180-250 range, and my Fenwich HMGs still make the cut for throwing soft plastics and jigs.

·
Registered
Maverick HPXS
1,286 Posts
I was in Florida on business with the GF last year and she got me a guided snook trip. I used the guide’s Star rods and they were surprisingly nice and light. I was expecting them to be cheapo judging by the name and they were guide boat rods but very nice. He said their warranty is unbeatable too.
I have people beat up on mine, and even had them thrown overboard and they keep going. Warranty is good too. Even their less expensive aerial line is a good value.
I have one of their old inshore series that I have been using regularly for 12 years now.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I'm not brand specific anymore so I have a few different ones that I use. I have an All Star (bass rod), Cabela's Salt Striker, Berkley Lightning for spinning. I use them all for spoons, plastics, jigs and occasionally a popping cork. With that being said my go to is my All Star with a Penn Fierce 3000. I catch Reds & Trout regularly with it. Not to heavy and I can use it all day. 7ft, Med action and it's a 1 piece. Not hard on the wallet either. I had a Falcon and the tip broke when I accidentally hit it while casting another rod, it was in my console rod holder. A costly lesson and now I never store rods there unless I am running to another spot and I intend on using that same rod. Now for bass fishing I am becoming a Diawa rod guy for sure. Picked up a med-fast 7ft casting rod that paired with Concept Z is a fish catching rig that may just become my everything setup.

·
Registered
937 Posts
If I had to rank the rods in my boat for throwing lures:

1. Phenix Black Diamond (custom made & carbon fiber blank and $$$$)
2. St Croix Avid or Star Plasma (about $200)
3. Falcon Coastal XG (about $90-100)
4. St Croix Premier
5. Star Stellar Lite (can't remember price but not much)

Never tried the St Croix Tidemaster and don't like the Mojo. I would think there a Tidemaster that would be a perfect match for a Penn BG 3000 reel though.

The Loomis Greenwaters are nice but about $200 and up. The E6X looks nice; never understood why GLoomis uses atleast 1-2 guides less than St Croix, Star, and others though.

My St Croix Avid is a 7'6" ML I bought to throw very small jigs to bonefish. Unfortunately, it gets held a lot more than it gets cast.

The most versatile rod I have is an old 7' 8-17lb GLoomis GL2 live bait rod ($165). It's my yellowtail rod but does great with everything from corks to topwaters, spoons, and soft plastics.

I no longer use the Star Stellar Lite since I have others. Star's warranty is no longer over-the-counter lifetime replacement. That ended a long time ago. Still good rods but that was a big selling point. Thier new rod above the Plasma looks nice but is $$$.

Stick with a 7' ML and Med action, fast action rod for throwing lures. My Falcon Bull Red Spin (7' Heavy) has handeled a 5' blacktip shark and a 6' bull shark but absolutely sucks for throwing the lures I typically throw. Falcon's 7' Medium split grip popping cork is among my favorite rods and costs $90. Balances great with a light 2500-3000 series reel and is easy to cast accurately when using very light lures or live shrimp. However, although it casts well and is good with the smaller mirrodines and small spoons with treble hooks, its not the best chocie for weedless soft baits and you lose a lot of action with larger sub-walk lures.

I love my high-dollar light action inshore rods but to tell you the truth it's an indulgence... a little lighter, a little more sensitive, and titanium guides won't rust but only you can decide if it's worth an extra $100-$250. If I wanted to pick up another $100 rod there is no doubt it would be a Falcon or maybe the TFO Signature.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.