Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
"The Flats Solicitor"
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am assess which material and method to manufacture carbon fiber clamp on rod holders.  My question is.  What angle(s) would users like to see the rod holders have.  I prefer a 0 degree.  That means the tube is parallel to the mounting leg with a 2-3 inch stand-off to clear a platform deck, etc.  The other options would be something between 0 degrees and 20 degrees (think of a rocket launcher rig where the rod comes off at an angle).  The rigid angular version is much more challenging to mass produce in large quantities.  

Lastly, I am leaning towards an adjustable unit that allows the end user to adjust the angle from 0 degree to 20 degree (cost slightly more to make).

I welcome feedback.  Jan you better be the first guy! :)

Float Shallower,
Joe
Cm

·
Hammer in my hand still pounding on a screw
258 Posts
Adjustable!!!

·
"The Flats Solicitor"
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How much stand off (distance between the rod tube and the mounting tube). I think 3 inches is plenty. I will grab a micrometer and stop at West Marine is a few minutes. I have to run get a few material on the way.

Please chime in.

Joe
Cm

·
Curmudgeon Emeritus
1996 Scout 192 Sportfish
4,972 Posts
I'd say experiment, 2.5, 3 3.5 etc... see what works best...

·
"The Flats Solicitor"
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Skritus, so far you and and Jan are the only guys to order 100 units. You guys will look like a porcupines on the water. Thanks for the support. I will start with a 3 inch stand-off and a range of 0 to 20 degrees adjustable. They will look simple but manfacturing in more than 20 at a time is very tough. :) But I will make it happen along with the calls for 10 othe new items I get daily. Besides they are only $250 each----just kinding! Thanks everyone for the support----I truly appreciate every call/PM/post. Thank you.

Float Shallower,
Joe
Cm

·
Registered
670 Posts
Adjustable.

Keep the price under $35.00.

Make a model for fly rods.

P.S. If you're doing some R&D on new products, a fly stripping basket would be nice if you kept the price under $135.00.

·
"The Flats Solicitor"
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
$35 dollars! When I sneeze at the shop it cost $35. The price will be fair but it will not be $35. The typical bolt on rod hold is $65+ and weighs 2-3 lbs. I will keep the price fair but $35 is not in my estimates. I am estimating $55-65. Plastic drop in are $15-19. Sorry, just setting expectations.

Float Shallower,
Joe
Cm

1 - 16 of 16 Posts