Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has inflation and record fuel prices affected your fishing or plans for a skiff? I‘m doing about the same, but am also retired with a part time pizza gig to keep me in walk around money. My KW 1520 is about paid off and am thinking about a used mod v Jon for knocking about my development lake and freshwater rivers. Would be used instead of new and small hp to sip fuel.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,337 Posts
Has inflation and record fuel prices affected your fishing or plans for a skiff? I‘m doing about the same, but am also retired with a part time pizza gig to keep me in walk around money. My KW 1520 is about paid off and am thinking about a used mod v Jon for knocking about my development lake and freshwater rivers. Would be used instead of new and small hp to sip fuel.
[/QUOTE
Are u serious?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes. Working as many hs as possible and saving money in mineral and food/farmland stocks (thinking of the Ukraine conflict) to have purchasing power during the recession instead of building or buying a boat this year. I'm 49 and saw ppl with liquid money get wealthy during the last recession. It's just the canoe, sup, and jonboat for now.
We have 2 little ones to think about.

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
Yes. Working as many hs as possible and saving money in mineral and food/farmland stocks (thinking of the Ukraine conflict) to have purchasing power during the recession instead of building or buying a boat this year. I'm 49 and saw ppl with liquid money get wealthy during the last recession. It's just the canoe, sup, and jonboat for now.
We have 2 little ones to think about.
Nothing wrong with them 3 choices as they catch as many fish as a fancy flatsboat.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,986 Posts
Nope. Cost of fuel isn't affecting my fishing at all. Many many years ago, the wife and I made long term financial plans for the future. Sometimes it was tough not having the extra money to go on big family vacations or cool fishing trips or scuba trips that our friends were going on. What we did instead was save and pay off bills. Similar plan to the Dave Ramsey plan. Fast forward to present, the house on the water is paid off, the trucks are paid off, the new skiff is paid off, the kids are out of private school. At a point where we are nearing our top earning potential, we don't have any real debt. Instead of paying some bank or creditor every month, we pay ourselves and our retirement accounts. Do I like $4 gallon gas? No, but my skiff does get 9-10mpg. Groceries and gas are our largest monthy expenses. I'm not preaching and I am certainly not a financial planner so spend your money how you want. Just how we did it and it seems to be working out for us. YMMV

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,397 Posts
Nope. Cost of fuel isn't affecting my fishing at all. Many many years ago, the wife and I made long term financial plans for the future. Sometimes it was tough not having the extra money to go on big family vacations or cool fishing trips or scuba trips that our friends were going on. What we did instead was save and pay off bills. Similar plan to the Dave Ramsey plan. Fast forward to present, the house on the water is paid off, the trucks are paid off, the new skiff is paid off, the kids are out of private school. At a point where we are nearing our top earning potential, we don't have any real debt. Instead of paying some bank or creditor every month, we pay ourselves and our retirement accounts. Do I like $4 gallon gas? No, but my skiff does get 9-10mpg. Groceries and gas are our largest monthy expenses. I'm not preaching and I am certainly not a financial planner so spend your money how you want. Just how we did it and it seems to be working out for us. YMMV
Dave Ramsey is a wise man. I highly recommend his "Financial Peace" class. This is a nine-lesson course that teaches you how to save for emergencies, pay off debt fast, spend wisely, and invest for your future. He's been teaching commonsense, biblical money principles that work for over 25 years.

·
Registered
Gheenoe NMZ
65 Posts
These prices have me questioning my trip to Kiptopeake with the Bay Boat. If it was just me I would take the Gheenoe. The real painful part is that I will, soon, have to put about 25 gallons into the Bay Boat.

part of this may be me being cheap. The ride down to Kiptopeake should cost me $75 in my truckeach way. I figure about 25 gallons of gas while I am there. I have already paid for my site. Then there is the $$$ to cross the bay bridge. After that good, which has also gotten stupid expensive.

Trust me, the thought of staying up here and doing a stay-cation has crossed my mind. I could do a week of fishing out if the Gheenoe and even take a trip to the lower Potomac and hit some in-shore striper areas that are protected.

But…this Kiptopeake trip is unique because my brother and my nephew are coming. That makes it worth it all. Sad part is that with my brother paying his share, half, there is a good chance that this trip will be more expensive than last year’s solo Kiptopeake Trip!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Sorry i feel its pretty sad we are ask to figure out what we can do without when we have done that for so long to get where we are ! Only to have a bunch of immigrants destroy everything we have built for centuries due to Bidens short coming 😡 but we all knew it was coming when Dems took over 😡 Bump them im going fishing .....

1 - 20 of 64 Posts