Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I could use some your expert recommendations for a decent multipurpose micro-skiff that would suit my area. I live in Fort Lauderdale Florida and would like to start getting out on the water again. I've never owned a skiff before, I'm coming from owning a 25ft footer, so any advice is much appreciated.

I would like to be able to haul my gear for lobster diving but also would like to be able to go out and troll for dolphin or do some drift fishing. I never had a micro-skiff before so I'm unsure how it would handle in my area. I used to have a 25ft Contender but have since got rid of it. I know skiffs are great for flats but I'm not sure how they would do in my area which is mostly choppy ocean. Any thoughts or guidance would be greatly appreciated!!!.

• Looking to dive, tank, regulator, net during lobster season.
  • Capable of going a bit offshore in good weather (maybe 2 miles out?)
  • Able to leave Lighthouse point inlet under power
  • Can handle ocean, key west travel and flats.
  • enough room to for maybe 3 rods and tackle.
  • fast enough to get out of trouble
Budget: 8k

·
Forgotten Coaster
2,549 Posts
You need to buy back your 25 Contender. :D

I lived in the Fort Lauderdale area for a few years (and thankfully escaped) and the only "skiff" I would even come close to considering for there would be a 17 Boston Whaler or McKee Craft. Too much chop, nasty inlets and way too many inebriated, reckless boaters for me to be out there in a micro-skiff.

·
Brandon, FL
10,420 Posts
You're going to get the standard - any boat can go offshore on the right days. But that is not very often and almost never in the winter months.

With a micro you really should be thinking micro waters.

I would not be buying a micro with the goal of going offshore. If it happens the stars aligned.

What you are describing you need the Contender Bay boat.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Probably something not so micro. Link below comes to mind.

edit: Just saw the budget. Ignore my post lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You need to buy back your 25 Contender. :D

I lived in the Fort Lauderdale area for a few years (and thankfully escaped) and the only "skiff" I would even come close to considering for there would be a 17 Boston Whaler or McKee Craft. Too much chop, nasty inlets and way too many inebriated, reckless boaters for me to be out there in a micro-skiff.
Ha, you're so right about reckless boaters down here, if I had a dime for the amount of times I've almost been hit by a boat while lobster diving with my flag.......well, I could probably afford to buy back my contender. :).

I wan't to move north towards jupiter and Port St Lucie to go after the red fish and fish the flats. I may end up doing that. I like the area. In the meantime I'm looking at some older Carolina Skiffs like the J16. I used to go (stupidly) 5 miles out in 3-5 with a buddy of mine when were 15.

Also, might just get a kayak or solo skiff and go fish in groups. There are a couple of large kayak fishing groups in my area that go out on weekends.

·
Registered
654 Posts
No skiff's.. a friend I fish with once in a while lives in Pompano and he's got a 17 Key west with a 90hp that fits the bill you describe pretty well.. we go out of Lighthouse Point often, dive and/or troll for dolphin as far as 15 miles off shore so long as you pick your days. He also trailers it to Flamingo once in a while, many days we've made the loop inside ramp to the outside ranp.. We also trailer it to 79th st ramp in Miami and do shrimping trips during the shrimp season.

Good all around boat for 2 person trips, maybe 3 for Yellowtail'n or Snapper on the reefs. Not so good for skinny flats though.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Boston whaler.
I use to take my 11 out of biscayne bay and troll etc. nice them about them is you can fill w water and they won’t sink and stay upright. Not that it ever happened when offshore I chose good days.

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,669 Posts
First your list of things you want for a boat is not a skiff. Then you said you might move and fish for reds well that may be a skiff. But you can’t have a boat to do both

·
Registered
470 Posts
I live in broward country as well, diving out of a Hobie power skiff 15 and when the wind is right i do fine running quite a few miles from port everglades.

Also use if for sight fishing, in biscayne bay. The hobie was designed to be beach launched so 3 in ball scuppers make it good with being swamped with wet dive gear, But as stated a bigger boat is probably the way to go.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I live in broward country as well, diving out of a Hobie power skiff 15 and when the wind is right i do fine running quite a few miles from port everglades.

Also use if for sight fishing, in biscayne bay. The hobie was designed to be beach launched so 3 in ball scuppers make it good with being swamped with wet dive gear, But as stated a bigger boat is probably the way to go.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I don’t think you are looking for a skiff. Maybe a bay boat would do all of those things.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
399 Posts
Not a lot of $8k boats I would want to take in the ocean as a rule of thumb, new or used

1 - 16 of 16 Posts