Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

81 - 87 of 87 Posts

·
Forgotten Coaster
2,185 Posts
With the exception of St. Joe Bay, most of the Big Bend from Apalach to Pasco County line now open. Pasco opens 7/16.

Check your PMs.

·
Registered
729 Posts
If you don't have a buddy skiff out there with you somewhere, you better have a spare prop...even if its a cheap aluminum one you can limp home on.

I love that area...but man it can be treacherous. I have left gel coat and skeg paint out there.

That limestone bottom is a blessing and a curse...if you're not local or very careful you WILL break something. But it keeps the area from being overly developed and keeps it natural...IMHO.
so is the entire area just super shallow hard bottom or can you just go out a few miles and its deeper?

·
Bait Hater
548 Posts
The area is said to get 1ft deeper each mile you go out to sea. Some areas can be sub 3’ of water several miles offshore. And to reiterate what everyone has said, it is a treacherous area. Not only are there large rocks scattered throughout just under the water surface, the whole bottom is limestone so if you are running too shallow and hit bottom, there will be issues. I have gone through several lower units running areas over there I’ve run my whole life. It will happen. Also, no matter what time of year you are over there, when the winds are low the bugs are awful. Especially in the summer.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,092 Posts
so is the entire area just super shallow hard bottom or can you just go out a few miles and its deeper?
Its not just "hard" bottom. Its limerock STONE bottom. "Rip stuff off your boat" bottom...

I have run around up there a couple of times in my tiller/tunnel and I'm 110% puckered up everywhere I go. Even when following a local I'm jacked and trimmed so high I'm trying to levitate the boat.

81 - 87 of 87 Posts