Increase Demand for Boats

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Str8-Six, May 9, 2020.

1. ifsteve

ifsteve Well-Known Member

Just take a quick look on The Hull Truth boats to buy/sell section. Like 30% of the ads are people wanting to buy boats and there is even one offering a finders fee for helping them out.

windblows likes this.
  2. Jim Lenfest

Jim Lenfest Well-Known Member

Here in Maine, I heard through the grapevine that the car dealerships were doing well as some folks were using those checks for car down payments.

3. sandyharris

sandyharris I Love microskiff.com!

Eastern NC ramps are insane......

4. m127

m127 I Love microskiff.com!

Yeah, it's nuts. Typically there are 1-2 buyer threads per page of seller threads there.

Lot of interesting things happening: the $1200 cash payouts, the PPP funds, the ability to carry back passive losses. There are a lot of people with a sudden cash infusion and bonus free time.

Also quite possibly the breath before the plunge, economically speaking.

commtrd likes this.
  5. AggieFlyGuy

AggieFlyGuy Well-Known Member

I am an attorney and represent one of the largest volume boat dealers in South Texas. They literally have no inventory left. The owner told me this has been the biggest year the boating industry has experienced in at least 20 years.

I am frankly surprised there are that many people willing to stick their financial neck out with the economy in varying degrees of shambles. However, I also bought and sold a boat this week...

6. Mad Beach Hewes

Mad Beach Hewes Well-Known Member

Crazy in Florida I was going to put my Pathfinder up for sale, but probably wouldn’t be able to replace it. It’s a sellers market, not many deals to be had.

7. crboggs

crboggs I Love microskiff.com!

Gonna be lots of good deals in the used market in about 6-9 months.

8. Back Country

Back Country Well-Known Member

I've got a buddy looking for a new 40 or 50 lb thrust transom-mount trolling motor. Everything is back-ordered until at least August.

JC Designs likes this.
  9. NealXB2003

NealXB2003 Active Member

Same for any outdoor activity. Atv/utv sales are setting records, too.

JC Designs and Back Country like this.
  10. CKEAT

CKEAT Well-Known Member

This sounds like a set up for a big crash. Hope that isn’t the case but it sure feels like it.

Fritz, JC Designs and Sublime like this.
  11. State fish rob

State fish rob Well-Known Member

I ve been looking , folks seem to charging a corona premium on used Overpriced 20-25%. If you’re priced rite, used skiff shouldn’t last a week In this environment
    Word for the day : depreciation

Fritz and Sublime like this.
  12. ifsteve

ifsteve Well-Known Member

The only guys this is working out well for are:
    1. Guys who are selling their boats and getting away from it for whatever reason and dont'need to replace or upgrade.
    2. Guys who are already in the que for having a new boat built. Their price is locked in but they get to sell their existing boat at a premium!

13. State fish rob

State fish rob Well-Known Member

I always get funny looks when I ask a boat seller ,” would you pay what you’re asking ?”

14. NealXB2003

NealXB2003 Active Member

I had an old Polaris ranger 6x6 that I posted for sale last fall. Didn't get a bite.

Posted it last weekend, 17 calls in an hour.

First guy to look at it paid $350 more than I paid when I originally bought it.

That extra $600/wk of gubmint cheese is burning a hole in people's pockets.

15. JC Designs

JC Designs Well-Known Member

Yeah, it’s more than I bring home per week in my 40hr week day job. Crazy thing is, I have a highly sought after job in the blue collar field too!

Fritz and Sublime like this.
  16. AggieFlyGuy

AggieFlyGuy Well-Known Member

What is truly scary is the number of people who are financing 85K+ boats for 25 years and 8% interest. There is no end to the stupidity surrounding boat financing these days

Salty Dawg, Moonpie, Fritz and 3 others like this.
  17. Padre

Padre Well-Known Member

That is exactly what happened to me. I sold mine for asking price in 12 hours the 1st week of Corona. I could have probably gotten more. I had just contacted Beavertail and they had a Mosquito almost done with no buyer. Sold my boat and put a deposit down. Total time without a boat, 3 weeks.

18. Drifter

Drifter Well-Known Member

Yeah if you consider, people got the PPP, the 1200, unemployment and I also don't think they have tp pay their rent or mortgage right now? Pretty crazy, there's basically no Jon boats with motors for sale in Montana right now. I was planning a trip to Florida in July now I'm wondering if that's going to be any fun!

19. crboggs

crboggs I Love microskiff.com!

A large majority of the middle class isn't even eligible for the stimulus.

So for many of us...we're watching people buy toys with deficit spending we'll be taxed to cover.

Moonpie, jpipes, Fritz and 1 other person like this.
  20. NealXB2003

NealXB2003 Active Member

Biden has already promised to roll back all of the tax cuts from the last several years "whether you like it or not".