Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

In Florida next week for work...where should I fish?

2K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  mightyrime 
#1 ·
Hi Team,
I have a site survey in Orlando next Wed. and Thur. I was thinking of staying a couple extra days and get some fishing in. Where is the best bet this time of year? I like all the usual sight fishing species. I assume this will be a guided operation.

thanks

#6 · (Edited)
Bingo!

Mark is a great guy and guide and will put you on the whopper bass right there in one of the best resorts in Orlando. You can bring that lil bass fly rod you have and whip some big bass with it!

Don't let this video fool you. They specialize in fly fishing for those bass and use drift boats also to fish out of. I've known him for a few years and Mark was one of my team mates this year for the Big Gun shootout accuracy and distance competition. He's an amazing caster and an amazing fly casting instructor. Could be something to fit in as a 2nd trip if you were also doing something else, since it's right there in Orlando, though he also guides the Mosquito Lagoon area as well.

#9 ·
That bass deal is fun and right now we are in the mix of some fish in pre-spawn, spawn and post-spawn. Great time to chase bass right now. If you do fish the Lagoon I would try to hire a guide who is permitted to fish inside the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge, whether you fish inside of it or not, it is always nice not to have boundaries.

#17 ·
Could you imagine if the 2nd one was next to the guy's body? It would be the size of a 150lb Goliath Grouper! :D

I just look at the hand size and figure from there. The top one looks like an 8 pounder and the 2nd one looks like a 10lb fish. Still, both nice bass on a fly.

#22 ·
Thanks all on the advice on Mark Benson. He was great. We actually skipped the trophy bass lakes and took a canoe down shingle creek. It was a great experience. It is surprisingly really wild back there. I posted my big bass photo on the who is catching what site. Landed one at about 6lb and lost a monster that we both guessed was 8lb or 9lb. Fished poppers all day. Most fish were like the 1lb / 2lb fish in the photo... great day. I rarely ever fish LMB so it was a new thing to me.
Natural environment Wildlife biologist Bayou Recreation Watercourse

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.