Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Gheenoe NMZ
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gheenoes are not bad boats. The truth is responsible people who understand their limitations and work within those limitations are the ones that realize the nitch the Gheenoe serves. It is highly probably that most of the Gheenoe realize this and the left overs are a handful of jackasses (same people who act like idiots on jet skis).

Keeping the Gheenoe simple is what it is about. Strapping on all of that extra stuff adds weight and problems. If you want to have a poling platform and all of that stuff there are far better platforms out there and they cost about the same as an over-loaded Gheenoe.

I bought my Gheenoe as a replacement for my kayak. It does exactly that but gives me more range. Mine is simple with a 15hp on the back, a grab bar, and a trolling motor on the front. Hell, my depth finder is a basic Lowrance Fish Finder I removed from my kayak before I sold it (I may eventually upgrade it to a GPS Fish Finder but this isn't a high priority since I spend my time in shallow water and always have landmarks around me). The majority of my time, so far, has been in the Occoquan River in a no wake area. The farther out trips I am planning are based on areas with limited open water and, even then, I would consider weather. I would head like hell for shelter if there was even the chance of a storm.

·
Registered
Gheenoe NMZ
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There’s already a long ass gheenoe thread going. Cue up Noettica’s aluminum boat half off the trailer photo and story 🤣
Yeah, That thread is turning into a shit show about the idiots that shouldn't even be in a boat running around in Gheenoes. Just trying to dump some of the bad vibes aimed at Gheenoes.

Plant Wood Fire Flame Gas

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Hey they are what they are , everybody knows that

Just keep it simple .

No drama needed , One of the biggest dealers just quit selling beacuse of the drama :-( ( just stop the Pranks and hate)

Nothing like a 13 footer with a 5 horse on a calm river . ( I did the high power thing it was not fun)

Get a test ride if you like buy ...

·
Registered
Gheenoe NMZ
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To be fair I've seen just as many asshats do stupid shit in high dollar skiffs.

It's the operator not the vessel.
Don't even mention Jet skis. I have a particular dislike for them. There are some really responsible operators out there, but the dumb ones take the cake. I saw a guy on a jetski blasting through a no wake zone with an 8 month old kid with him. The kid didn't have a jacket on.

I have always thought they should make jet skis more interesting for the rest of us. Maybe we all should have paintball guns...

• Haha
Reactions: The Fin

·
I Love microskiff.com!
Sharp Hooks Matter
812 Posts
Why do folks feel the need to "defend" a type of boat? Just brings flies out of the woodwork who like to argue and bicker about things that should not even be any of their concern. Just go with what you want/like and can afford and don't worry about the detractors.
Mention any type of rig on here and someone will have negative things to say. So unless it’s a jet ski or air boat, don’t feed the trolls.🤐

·
Registered
2007 Gordon Waterman , plus beat up J16 and unfinished Gheenoe project sitting in the "boneyard"
1,049 Posts
I heard chittum and hell’s bay are collaborating to make a 110% carbon fiber gheenoe with a beefed up transom and hanging a Merc 60R on it.
Dustin will be running one in tarpon tournaments....

• Love
Reactions: Smackdaddy53

·
Registered
497 Posts
The original Gheenoe design stemmed from a guy fly fishing out of a canoe who decided to make something better for his purposes.

Gheenoes are a good option for folks who have a kayak or canoe and want more range, stability, and capacity. That are also nice in that you can get one for a low entry price, then add accessories over time as you have funds.

People with a long list of "must have" features and the means to pay for them have more and better options to choose from.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
16,221 Posts
The original Gheenoe design stemmed from a guy fly fishing out of a canoe who decided to make something better for his purposes.

Gheenoes are a good option for folks who have a kayak or canoe and want more range, stability, and capacity. That are also nice in that you can get one for a low entry price, then add accessories over time as you have funds.

People with a long list of "must have" features and the means to pay for them have more and better options to choose from.
Nothing wrong with a kayak, SUP, gheenoe or any other vessel but if you run a jet ski you are on a list...

·
Registered
A simple old Gheenoe
350 Posts
There’s already a long ass gheenoe thread going. Cue up Noettica’s aluminum boat half off the trailer photo and story 🤣
I'm pretty new here, but every time I see "Gheenoe" mentioned in a new thread, my internal monologue is: "wait for it... wait for it..." I'm rarely disappointed.

·
Registered
2007 Gordon Waterman , plus beat up J16 and unfinished Gheenoe project sitting in the "boneyard"
1,049 Posts
Gheenoe are fine for what they are built for. Personally I can't fathom why someone would buy a solo skiff, when for about the same coin they could set up a Gheenoe that would be much more capable, able to carry more gear (or beer) and a friend. I've got a classic sitting in the backyard that I need to finish just to play around in. I used to fish out of a buddies highsider a lot, tippy as shit but we figured out how to fish and move around in it and caught a lot of fish, plus with a 15hp it ran around 25mph which was really fun.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
16,221 Posts
Gheenoe are fine for what they are built for. Personally I can't fathom why someone would buy a solo skiff, when for about the same coin they could set up a Gheenoe that would be much more capable, able to carry more gear (or beer) and a friend. I've got a classic sitting in the backyard that I need to finish just to play around in. I used to fish out of a buddies highsider a lot, tippy as shit but we figured out how to fish and move around in it and caught a lot of fish, plus with a 15hp it ran around 25mph which was really fun.
And you can paddle it right?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
1 - 20 of 42 Posts