Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Bait Hater
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you who throw an IMX Pro, what fly line do you use?

Just picked up a new IMX 6wt and am trying to get a feel of what line to snag. Do these rods like a true to weight line or a little extra weight? It seems to be a fairly fast 6wt.

Thanks,
T

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
I found my 7 weight IMX Pro1 to be true to weight. A lot lighter than the CrossCurrent Pro1. For me the SA Amplitude Bonefish cast well on the IMX Pro1; both in 7 weight

·
Registered
37 Posts
For what its worth, the freshwater line wts were designed using the scientific anglers MPX taper. You may want to take that into consideration when selecting a line, at least for cross comparison purposes.

I cast that on my 5wt and like it.

I believe the actions/rod tapers of the 7wt and 8wt are designed a little different then the 5 and 6wt.

·
Bait Hater
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I’m deciding between the SA Mastery Bonefish - 6wt, which is 160gr, or, the Wulff BTT - 5wt, which is 175gr.

Based on what @Camren said, the Wulff is similar in weight to the MPX. I don’t want to overload this rod though.

It will be used for small fall/winter reds in clear water tailing. Shots are typically 40-60ft. Flies are typically size 2-6 with very light weight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts