Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
5K views 32 replies 19 participants last post by  CrappieFisherman 
#1 · (Edited)
I know bluefish are mostly targeted in the North East. A lot of fishermen, much less fly fishermen, don't know that bluefish are in Florida. Some savvy anglers here in Florida in the "know" often welcome a bluefish surprise on the business end of their line. With the hard pulling action and veracious strikes, they make for a great targeted specie. Catching them throughout the years, more of a by-catch as opposed to a targeted fish, I welcome everyone of them who are willing to jump onto the other end of my line, especially my flyline.

Over the last few years, if I know that show up in certain, I will purposely target them. To me, the fight I get out of them reminds me more of a snook than other fish like jacks, mackerel, sea trout, etc. The difference in the fight is they wouldn't run to structure to cut the line off, as well as not jumping like snook do. However, they do have their own build-in pair of scissors with their razor sharp teeth, where they can cleanly cut line in an instant. With that, I try to use at lease a 30lb fluorocarbon bite tippet. Tho I've caught them on light wire bite tippet while targeting mackerel, they seem to be wire shy. I've caught plenty on 30lb FC tho.

My buddy Ken and I went out early in the week to go play with some jacks on surface popper flies, then go look for reds following mullet schools up on the flats. When we pulled up to the area, we found the jacks running bait up and down the shoreline and it didn't take long to entice them on a Saltwater Hair Popper. Had it poppin up a storm! Ha! This is the one I threw up on the fly thread.

Air temps started in the low 70's and dropped into the upper 60's. The water temped started in the low 70's and dropped to 70 degrees. Of course, normal Gulf coast winds at 20mph with gusts up to 25mph.

Caught about 6 small jacks (nothing to write home about) and then something busted it had and took some drag. Was a good fight but didn't feel that familiar rhythmic head thumping, typical with a jack. Then it surfaced and I knew what it was.... "Bluefish" I said! It was really fun on a light 8wt flyrod.

I was surprised the soft bodied head of that popper was still in tack.

Here's what it looked like after 6 jacks and 1 bluefish.

Went to the outside edge of that flat and found some hard bottom in deeper water at the edge of the flat near the drop-off. I figured the jacks and bluefish would be bigger out there and figured if they'd eat a surface popper inside, they'd eat it on the outside.... and I was right. bigger jacks started crushing the popper and the bluefish started to grow. It was amazing how they lit up bright blue in the tail as they came to hand after a long hard fight.

This was the last of 4 good bluefish on that same fly I started with, before we made the long cool bumpy run back to the boat ramp.

Final tally on that fly was 6 small and 6 average jacks (12 total) and 4 good bluefish before the fly got shredded with all those teeth. We took some video of the bluefish eats and trying to get them up and running. The eats were great!

This was all that was left of the fly when I cut it off that evening and set it on my fly desk.

Believe it or not, I rebuilt the fly the next day using most of the materials and sharpen the hook back up.

You can see the fly recipe by scrolling down the thread in the link below.
http://www.microskiff.com/threads/whats-everyone-been-tying.22450/page-39

Ted Haas

See less See more
#7 ·
With a flyrod I think they are fun, especially if they are willing to come up top and eat surface flies. If you are trying to target something else, I guess anything like that (blues, macks, ladyfish, jacks, etc...) can be frustrating. But if someone can take a breath, slow down and enjoy the moment and actually turn your attention on them, they can be a cool fish to get on the other end of a long rod. Pound for pound, they put up a great fight and can really light up if you allow them to. ;)

Sometimes, I'll just go out and target ladyfish on fly, especially in the dead of winter when not much else is biting. ;) But then again, I'm thankful I can just get out and fish! ;)

#6 ·
I know bluefish are mostly targeted in the North East. A lot of fishermen, much less fly fishermen, don't know that bluefish are in Florida. Some savvy anglers here in Florida in the "know" often welcome a bluefish surprise on the business end of their line. With the hard pulling action and veracious strikes, they make for a great targeted specie. Catching them throughout the years, more of a by-catch as opposed to a targeted fish, I welcome everyone of them who are willing to jump onto the other end of my line, especially my flyline.

Other the last few years, if I know that show up in certain, I will purposely target them. To me, the fight I get out of them reminds me more of a snook than other fish like jacks, mackerel, sea trout, etc. The difference in the fight is they wouldn't run to structure to cut the line off, as well as not jumping like snook do. However, they do have their own build-in pair of scissors with their razor sharp teeth, where they can cleanly cut line in an instant. With that, I try to use at lease a 30lb fluorocarbon bite tippet. Tho I've caught them on light wire bite tippet while targeting mackerel, they seem to be wire shy. I've caught plenty on 30lb FC tho.

My buddy Ken and I went out early in the week to go play with some jacks on surface popper flies, then go look for reds following mullet schools up on the flats. When we pulled up to the area, we found the jacks running bait up and down the shoreline and it didn't take long to entice them on a Saltwater Hair Popper. Had it poppin up a storm! Ha! This is the one I threw up on the fly thread.

Air temps started in the low 70's and dropped into the upper 60's. The water temped started in the low 70's and dropped to 70 degrees. Of course, normal Gulf coast winds at 20mph with gusts up to 25mph.

Caught about 6 small jacks (nothing to write home about) and then something busted it had and took some drag. Was a good fight but didn't feel that familiar rhythmic head thumping, typical with a jack. Then it surfaced and I knew what it was.... "Bluefish" I said! It was really fun on a light 8wt flyrod.

I was surprised the soft bodied head of that popper was still in tack.

Here's what it looked like after 6 jacks and 1 bluefish.

Went to the outside edge of that flat and found some hard bottom in deeper water at the edge of the flat near the drop-off. I figured the jacks and bluefish would be bigger out there and figured if they'd eat a surface popper inside, they'd eat it on the outside.... and I was right. bigger jacks started crushing the popper and the bluefish started to grow. It was amazing how they lit up bright blue in the tail as they came to hand after a long hard fight.

This was the last of 4 good bluefish on that same fly I started with, before we made the long cool bumpy run back to the boat ramp.

Final tally on that fly was 6 small and 6 average jacks (12 total) and 4 good bluefish before the fly got shredded with all those teeth. We took some video of the bluefish eats and trying to get them up and running. The eats were great!

This was all that was left of the fly when I cut it off that evening and set it on my fly desk.

Believe it or not, I rebuilt the fly the next day using most of the materials and sharpen the hook back up.

You can see the fly recipe by scrolling down the thread in the link below.
http://www.microskiff.com/threads/whats-everyone-been-tying.22450/page-39

Ted Haas
Great report. Love those blues
Of course while your in 70 degrees we are in 36 and had to work to try and pay for a trip this spring. We have to vicariously enjoy your reports

Reactions: Backwater
#10 ·
I'm pretty sure a bluefish was the first saltwater species I caught on a fly. V-rib glass minnow streamer. The bigger ones can be a handful. The smaller ones are delicious. Sautéed in butter with some Cajun seasoning. But then again I like fish that taste like fish. Nice report!

#14 ·
Sautéed in butter with some Cajun seasoning. But then again I like fish that taste like fish. Nice report!
I let these go, but when I keep one or 2, I cut out the red strip of meat, season and roll them in Italian bread crumbs and saute them in olive oil. Add a bed of fettuccine alfredo and some sauteed zucchini with garlic and italian seasoning, and you'll have a good meal. ;)

I do the same with spanish mackerel sometimes.

#13 ·

We get Bluefish in Australia but we call them Tailor, smaller school fish are called "choppers" because of the way they feed. They grow to over 3ft long in my area but I haven't spent much time chasing them on fly, that will be next winters mission.
Nice fish! Welcome to the Fly board! An Aussie huh? What part (what coast)? Oh yeah, you are going into your summer months down there, right?

#17 ·
I've eaten Tampa Bay blue fish a couple of times. Not bad, but not my favorite. I married into a native Tampa family going back several generations, so they know how to cook pretty much everything that swims in our area. It comes in handy for sure.

#20 · (Edited)
When I lived in the northeast we called 'em Yellow Eyed Monsters...I fished them for 30 years. It wasn't unusual to have schools of 14lb-18lb fish show up Oct-Nov and kick the crap out of you and your tackle. You were lucky if your fly lasted 2 fish and sometimes a big fish would cut your fly line trying to get the fly out of the mouth of the one hooked. As much as I love a good tug - I'm done with blues for the rest of my life.

As far as eating one - I'd rather lick the bottom of an empty cat food can....:oops:

#22 ·
Yea my buddy Ken said those blues up there in the NE are big and bad. He also said those bigger ones didn't taste that good and said these smaller ones were better eating. Again, they are not that high up on my fish tasting scale. But I can eat them, tho the wife and kids wonder what kind of fish they were eating since it didn't taste normal.

#21 ·
Along the gulf coast of the 'Glades between Cape Sable and Lostmans we occasionally encounter them in great numbers - although a bit on the small side (less than 3lbs - sometimes barely a pound...) just shredding baits at the surface on a cold day. Great fun - and even better when you find them and medium to small sized blacktips are feeding on them... We'll be running north or south and see the birds first - then the blues, finally the blacktips...

When this going on the small blues will hit anything you put in front of them - flies, jigs, anything. The blacktips get so fired up they attack topwater plugs (and I always have an old chugger plug or two with a wire trace ready to tie on.... With the blacktips in the 30 to 50lb range things can get hot....

#24 ·
I love to catch bluefish out on the Chesapeake...haven't targeted them on the fly...yet.

My father likes to eat them. He says the key is to soak them in a heavy salt brine for a day, and then smoke them. Afterwards, they wind up on a Ritz cracker with mustard.

#25 ·
I learned to hate bluefish after losing the back half of several soft plastics over the years, so I haven't really thought about catching them on the fly. Maybe I'll add a short wire leader and go have some fun.

This thread has me thinking that I might have to throw some blues on the colder side of the smoker next time I'm doing a pork shoulder. Anyone got a good brine and/or seasoning suggestion?

#31 ·
I cannot testify if brining bluefish will destroy the meat (Backwater may be right). With that said, my father puts enough salt in water that it will float an egg. Once he reaches that concentration, he soaks the filets overnight, and throws them in the smoker.

Might be worth trying both ways. Oilier fish are always more difficult to prepare, and is more about the tastes of the person in the end.

As for me, the oilier fish I deal with, although no where near as fishy as Bluefish, end up in a steamer pot, and steamed in a heavy vinegarish solution (actually the same recipe as my blue crabs). This breaks the oils down, while keeping the meat moist. Once I've cooked the fish in this manner, I shred the filets apart, and use the meat as a substitute for crab meat in my family crab cake recipe...which definitely requires a healthy amount of Old Bay.

#26 ·
bryson, since they have a higher level of fish oil in the meat than other fish, that means they are great for smoking, like mullet, mackerel and some jacks. I wouldn't soak it in brine since it might break down the meat. Just season it like any other fish you do in the smoker or the grill.

#27 ·
Pretty much anything that will hit a popper and fight hard is cool with me. I know blues are a big deal on the East Coast- I was born in NC and I know they're a prime target there. But I've never seen a bluefish bigger than a pound or two here in Texas waters.

#30 ·
Small blues are very good eating - but you have to bleed them and ice them immediately AND cut out the dark blood line when filleting and don't even think about freezing them for later. Awesome broiled too with some compound butter from Jasper White's Summer Shack Cookbook.

#33 ·
The biggest thing is to cook the meat correctly. This means the crabs must be steamed, no exceptions. The liquid should be part beer, apple cider vinegar, apple juice, and pickle juice...until it smells right (no other way to explain). When you steam the crabs, generous amounts of old bay should be placed directly on each crab. If you are steaming fish instead of crabs, add some old bay to the juice.

OK, now that the crabs have been cooked correctly, you need to prepare the filler. I don't use bread. I use Ritz crackers. This also adds all of the salt I need. Old bay should be added to taste. Add about a tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce, and a couple splashes of lemon juice, in a well blended mixture.

Add a small amount of filler to the meat, with an egg, and mix well.

Finally, form cakes to the size desired, and pan fry in a skillet with almond oil. Scrumptious!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.