illiterate Children !!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by noeettica, May 21, 2010.

1. noeettica

noeettica Well-Known Member

I was having a discussion on "another Forum"  and a teacher said that Most7 Th graders can not read and write Cursive !

I feel It is a valid skill to posses ...  Lots of people disagree !

Dave

2. noeettica

Do You feel Cursive Handwriting is a Relevant skill Today ?

3. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Two times I use cursive each day, signing my name on a document
    and reading someone else's name on a document.
    However at least once a week I need cursive to read older legal documents.
    Especially when reading scanned historical records I find on line.
    Still a necessary skill.

4. makin moves

makin moves Well-Known Member

ive read some schools hardley teach it anymore

5. Gramps

Gramps Living &amp; Dying in 3/4 Time

I am in the same boat as Brett. Nearly everything I write is in print now but that is mainly because my cursive handwriting is bad! If our kids are not learning cursive the education system is failing.

6. cal1320

cal1320 Well-Known Member

My kids were taught cursive first in school. They were not allowed to print until after the 3rd grade.

7. WhiteDog70810

WhiteDog70810 Mostly Harmless

I feel it is a skill that could be dropped simply because it encourages poor communication, i.e. illegible handwriting. Everyone butchers cursive in his or her unique way. Teachers no longer focus on good handwriting (if they ever did; my grandma's handwriting is worse than mine). They have other priorities, so there is no sense muddying the water.

Kids can figure out how to read the crap. It is like decoding another person's shorthand or some weird MS Word typeset. Kids are smart enough to handle it.

My two cents.

Nate

8. skinnywater3

skinnywater3 Well-Known Member

Time would be better spent teaching typing

9. Gramps

Gramps Living &amp; Dying in 3/4 Time

Not to sound ignorant, but do they not teach typing anymore? I took 4 years of typing classes in school, hell I started on an electric typewriter!

I can't imagine they do not teach "touch" typing, but that class sure as hell doesn't cover grammar or composition.

Edit: Typing was an elective for me as well and I graduated HS in 2001.

10. gheenoe

gheenoe Got snook?

When I was in high school typing was an elective. That was only about ten years ago.

11. Charlie

Charlie I Love microskiff.com!

I woulnd't be sure about that! If you haven't taken the SAT recently (which I doubt most of you have) you would know that the hardest part of the test for most people is reading and writing the "honor code" paragraph in script! In some schools teachers put up boards with all the letters in script so the students don't take hours.

At most schools my friends are at typing is requirement for graduation.

12. skinny_water

skinny_water Well-Known Member

It was an elective also for me (2003). This just goes along the lines of the quality of education today, poor. They teach you to test, and not to learn. It is concerning.

My Sister has chosen to home school her two kids montessori style due to the issues in the education system. You can learn so much more hands then in a class room. It is sometimes painfully obvious who were the kids that took things apart and put them back together when they were growing up.

13. noeettica

I was taking things apart (and putting them back together) since I could pick up a screw driver !!!

Dave