Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
101 - 120 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
I quit Blue Ridge about 5 years ago with no plans to go back. It used to be a nice place to fish.
Yup, so did we. .However, we liked lake Nottley but not the drive from BR. Never liked lake BR.
We are building a low maintenance "cabin/house" backed up to the national forest on a dead end rd close to Nottley lake.
It will be home
Stripers,Spots and Hybrids will keep me happy.
OK ! Bourbon too

·
Registered
39 Posts
Shhhhh! That’s where I’m looking. ;)

I just got from Blue Ridge, GA. Seems all the Floridians left for there for all the reasons described here. :)

If I may ask what budget range are you looking? That makes a big difference right now between loving it here and hating it.

… or you can let me stay in your WY place while you stay in mine here in FL. ;) We can split the year for the best of both worlds.
Yeah we are being invaded by covid totalitarianism escapists, we still have great fishin and we welcome georgia residents as long as your fleeing georgia after your disastrous 2020 election because you voted against those who won lmao

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yeah we are being invaded by covid totalitarianism escapists, we still have great fishin and we welcome georgia residents as long as your fleeing georgia after your disastrous 2020 election because you voted against those who won lmao
Come on down

·
I Love microskiff.com!
611 Posts
I’ve lived in a few places in FL and things ebb and flow with water quality and the health of the various fisheries, sadly don’t see this improving as pressure only increases. So I stay flexible and have learned several fisheries. I would be looking for a place where you have options as things change and can chase different species depending on seasonality. I would also
consider access to the interstate and quick access vs living on one particular water body and being tied to the same place. I live in Sarasota and though I don’t like the recent population explosion, I love this area. I have access to a solid fishery and I also like that within 2-3 hours I can fish numerous areas even for just the day. I can fish Tampa Bay, Sarasota Bay, Pine Island Sound, Charlotte Harbor, Chokoloskee, and Crystal River. This opens up lots of options and endless possibilities.

Good luck

·
Registered
Ocean kayak
1,201 Posts
It’s worth noting that no matter where you go, fishing during the weekdays is incredibly more enjoyable then the weekends. Most of us get out on the water to escape from people and experience the outdoors the way it’s meant to be. Since Covid, there are X times more people on the water that wouldn’t have been before. The increased boat traffic on the weekends causes extra pressure on fish, displacing them from their usual feeding areas and there are more interactions with Googans on the water.
Because of this I now don’t look forward to the perfect weather day because I know every Tom, Dick and Harry will be out there too. I try to find ways to get away from the crowds or fish areas that other people can’t - i.e. paddling my kayak to flamingo to get in sub 5”, look for the windy and rainy days that keep most people at home or try to go out during the week. There are few places left in Florida that you’re able to experience solitude and great fishing on the weekends. Good luck
On the space coast, it's the same. I went to 2 different spots on the irl and mosquito lagoon this morning. There were zero parking places left. It's aggravating, for sure

·
Registered
368 Posts
Hey, everyone. Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this subject.

I currently live in the Rockies, but have a saltwater fishing ‘problem’ that draws me to FL every chance I get. I’ll be fortunate enough to consider the possibility of splitting time between FL and WY in the next few years. So, I’m trying to gather some information on places I might want to visit/fish before making a decision on that FL location.

The vast majority of my experience in FL is in the Keys (specifically Key West). There are a ton of things I enjoy about that area and could easily just land there. I’ve also spent some time in the Panhandle and really enjoyed that for different reasons.

I know, I know … the first reaction from many will be “it depends on what you’re looking for.” Yeah, I know it depends. There will be pros and cons to every area. What I’m asking is what area YOU prefer and why? I’m specifically interested in the fishing opportunities, species, amount of recreational crowding, etc vs. the cost of real estate, etc. I fly fish the vast majority of the time, but have no problem breaking out the spin rod, too.

Thanks again.
Mar-A-Lago?😁

·
Registered
41 Posts

I currently live in the Rockies, but have a saltwater fishing ‘problem’ that draws me to FL every chance I get. I’ll be fortunate enough to consider the possibility of splitting time between FL and WY in the next few years. So, I’m trying to gather some information on places I might want to visit/fish before making a decision on that FL location.

The vast majority of my experience in FL is in the Keys (specifically Key West). There are a ton of things I enjoy about that area and could easily just land there. I’ve also spent some time in the Panhandle and really enjoyed that for different reasons.

I know, I know … the first reaction from many will be “it depends on what you’re looking for.” Yeah, I know it depends. There will be pros and cons to every area. What I’m asking is what area YOU prefer and why? I’m specifically interested in the fishing opportunities, species, amount of recreational crowding, etc vs. the cost of real estate, etc. I fly fish the vast majority of the time, but have no problem breaking out the spin rod, too.

Thanks again.
For me it’s the Keys, Anna Maria Island and Tarpon Springs.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Florida west coast between Tampa and Fort Misery,.....
time and distance - pretty much puts you in the middle of alot of good / different water - Steinhatchee (to the North) to the Keys (to the South). Also have the options of all the freshwater lakes in the middle of the state(Central Florida), plus couple hours across the state and have the Atlantic (to the West).
Thats alot of different fishing, ......and if you want to push it a little, you can also take a flight to the Bahamas.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,258 Posts
For me it’s the Keys, Anna Maria Island and Tarpon Springs.
The wife and I have been going to longboat key the day after Christmas for the last 8 years.
Beautiful area, way overcrowded that time of year though.only took the skiff1 time.
No place to park it🙄

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks again.
HOBE SOUND ... just north of Jupiter, FL (east coast). It is still small town-ish with the best Snook fishing around from shore ... 5 miles off shore and you're in the Gulfstream for Big Fish.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm in south Brevard county (Space Coast) lived here all my life and looking to leave. The lagoon continues to die and there are thousands more houses under construction, most with septic/drainfields which coupled with all the fertilizer, pesticides, etc will continue to kill this once great fishery and area.
And don't even get me started on all the clowns who have moved here and purchased boats...what a zoo.
Where are you looking to go?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Florida is completely FULL! Feel free to visit, fish, spend money, but unless you’re bringing a computer chip company here just make it a visit. Get yourself a skiff and store it in the Keys. AB&B a place on the water with your skiff whenever you visit. Hire one of the thousands of guides, half of them refugees from the NE or Colorado,while you are here. In the end, it will be cheaper and you can still be with your own people. You will have the best of both worlds.

Reactions: flysalt060
101 - 120 of 128 Posts