Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
81 - 100 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey, everyone. Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this subject.

I currently live in the Rockies, but have a saltwater fishing ‘problem’ that draws me to FL every chance I get. I’ll be fortunate enough to consider the possibility of splitting time between FL and WY in the next few years. So, I’m trying to gather some information on places I might want to visit/fish before making a decision on that FL location.

The vast majority of my experience in FL is in the Keys (specifically Key West). There are a ton of things I enjoy about that area and could easily just land there. I’ve also spent some time in the Panhandle and really enjoyed that for different reasons.

I know, I know … the first reaction from many will be “it depends on what you’re looking for.” Yeah, I know it depends. There will be pros and cons to every area. What I’m asking is what area YOU prefer and why? I’m specifically interested in the fishing opportunities, species, amount of recreational crowding, etc vs. the cost of real estate, etc. I fly fish the vast majority of the time, but have no problem breaking out the spin rod, too.

Thanks again.
Crystal River! As long as you vote conservative your welcome! We have snook, Redfish, Trout, Tarpon, Grouper, Snapper and the best flats in Florida, ver right wing conservative freedom loving county that welcomes like minded conservative people, if your not like minded stay where you are.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Hey, everyone. Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this subject.

I currently live in the Rockies, but have a saltwater fishing ‘problem’ that draws me to FL every chance I get. I’ll be fortunate enough to consider the possibility of splitting time between FL and WY in the next few years. So, I’m trying to gather some information on places I might want to visit/fish before making a decision on that FL location.

The vast majority of my experience in FL is in the Keys (specifically Key West). There are a ton of things I enjoy about that area and could easily just land there. I’ve also spent some time in the Panhandle and really enjoyed that for different reasons.

I know, I know … the first reaction from many will be “it depends on what you’re looking for.” Yeah, I know it depends. There will be pros and cons to every area. What I’m asking is what area YOU prefer and why? I’m specifically interested in the fishing opportunities, species, amount of recreational crowding, etc vs. the cost of real estate, etc. I fly fish the vast majority of the time, but have no problem breaking out the spin rod, too.

Thanks again.
As long as you……..
From the Real Florida Native and we are definitely full!
Plant community Natural environment Natural landscape Land lot Font

·
I Love microskiff.com!
441 Posts
I love Florida, but wouldn’t move there. I’ve fished there many times a year for a couple of decades. The change is unbelievable, and pretty sad.

·
Registered
Perfection Challenger
68 Posts
Crystal River! As long as you vote conservative your welcome! We have snook, Redfish, Trout, Tarpon, Grouper, Snapper and the best flats in Florida, ver right wing conservative freedom loving county that welcomes like minded conservative people, if your not like minded stay where you are.
Shhhhh! That’s where I’m looking. ;)

I just got from Blue Ridge, GA. Seems all the Floridians left for there for all the reasons described here. :)

If I may ask what budget range are you looking? That makes a big difference right now between loving it here and hating it.

… or you can let me stay in your WY place while you stay in mine here in FL. ;) We can split the year for the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
Shhhhh! That’s where I’m looking. ;)

I just got from Blue Ridge, GA. Seems all the Floridians left for there for all the reasons described here. :)

If I may ask what budget range are you looking? That makes a big difference right now between loving it here and hating it.

… or you can let me stay in your WY place while you stay in mine here in FL. ;) We can split the year for the best of both worlds.
Blue Ridge has been ruined by "Floidiots", Atlantans and Half-backs!

·
Registered
1999 Carolina Skiff 16
1,184 Posts
those that have moved down to Fl from the northeast etc. and found Fl to hot and move to the mnts of Ga.---halfway back
Blue Ridge, Clayton, Hiawasee, parts of Western N.C., all becoming halfback cities. Land prices have gone thru the roof. Nobody pays asking price, it turns into a bidding war.

·
Registered
92 Maverick 18 MA. Ankona Shadowcast
11 Posts
Born and raised in Miami. great fishing and lots of open space back in 70's!!! Lived in Key Largo for 12 years and even though I still consider it paradise and I return every year for July I wouldn't want to live there again. Its astonishing how many people have moved or visit there. If I really felt like I had to live in the Keys I would choose somewhere between big pine and key west. Don't even think about flying in to MIA and driving down on a regular basis. The traffic in the upper keys is brutal pretty much all the time. I live and fish on the nature coast and really like it. Affordability is amazing. If you like tarpon fishing Homassa has a great fishery and has an old florida feel. Its crowded but there is still room the roam

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Big pine is a great area, but Panama City beach is also interesting.

Reactions: JC Designs

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
Oh
Got it😀
I’m in Habersham County, so I know a lot of them folks, just didn’t know what they were🙃
Well, I am moving back up there.......florida -blue ridge,ga,-kingsland,ga--oriental,nc-- soon to be union.co ga..............done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
Born and raised in Miami. great fishing and lots of open space back in 70's!!! Lived in Key Largo for 12 years and even though I still consider it paradise and I return every year for July I wouldn't want to live there again. Its astonishing how many people have moved or visit there. If I really felt like I had to live in the Keys I would choose somewhere between big pine and key west. Don't even think about flying in to MIA and driving down on a regular basis. The traffic in the upper keys is brutal pretty much all the time. I live and fish on the nature coast and really like it. Affordability is amazing. If you like tarpon fishing Homassa has a great fishery and has an old florida feel. Its crowded but there is still room the roam
Many,many people that I grew up w/ in Miami have left already.
Ditto on the keys.I lived on Big Pine in early '80's and the upper Keys in the late '80's and the change was starting. It was Miami on the wk ends and I understand it is now 7 days a wk.
Change is constant.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
What's Instagram?

Kidding, of course. But agree. Never use it.
I think the social media thing is completely overplayed. I follow and have followers from microskiff and I enjoy seeing their fishing. I have 4 years on the water in Florida bay and can never tell where people are in their photos. That generation from the 50s called Islamorada the sportffishing capitol fo the world and sold it to everyone they could. That is why people come here. These fisheries have been sold by guides and resort businesses. Most social media keeps things under pretty tight wraps while outfitters build websites advertising how good it is then pay google adwords to attract everyone that searches saltwater Flyfishing.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,292 Posts
It’s worth noting that no matter where you go, fishing during the weekdays is incredibly more enjoyable then the weekends. Most of us get out on the water to escape from people and experience the outdoors the way it’s meant to be. Since Covid, there are X times more people on the water that wouldn’t have been before. The increased boat traffic on the weekends causes extra pressure on fish, displacing them from their usual feeding areas and there are more interactions with Googans on the water.
Because of this I now don’t look forward to the perfect weather day because I know every Tom, Dick and Harry will be out there too. I try to find ways to get away from the crowds or fish areas that other people can’t - i.e. paddling my kayak to flamingo to get in sub 5”, look for the windy and rainy days that keep most people at home or try to go out during the week. There are few places left in Florida that you’re able to experience solitude and great fishing on the weekends. Good luck

81 - 100 of 128 Posts