Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, everyone. Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this subject.

I currently live in the Rockies, but have a saltwater fishing ‘problem’ that draws me to FL every chance I get. I’ll be fortunate enough to consider the possibility of splitting time between FL and WY in the next few years. So, I’m trying to gather some information on places I might want to visit/fish before making a decision on that FL location.

The vast majority of my experience in FL is in the Keys (specifically Key West). There are a ton of things I enjoy about that area and could easily just land there. I’ve also spent some time in the Panhandle and really enjoyed that for different reasons.

I know, I know … the first reaction from many will be “it depends on what you’re looking for.” Yeah, I know it depends. There will be pros and cons to every area. What I’m asking is what area YOU prefer and why? I’m specifically interested in the fishing opportunities, species, amount of recreational crowding, etc vs. the cost of real estate, etc. I fly fish the vast majority of the time, but have no problem breaking out the spin rod, too.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
Ankona shadowcast 16
117 Posts
I live in and love New Smyrna beach. Mosquito lagoon isn't far and all the backwater areas are great too. I like the keys but too expensive to buy a house for me. Cedar key on west coast is a favorite. But look into new smyrna as much as u can and the lagoon. See what ya think. If ur around here PM me and I can take u out and about

·
Registered
9 Posts
Steinhatchee, Fort Pierce, or the Panhandle. I live in a small beach town on E.Coast. It's gotten crowded our house's value doubled in past year. The keys are great to visit but wouldn't want to live there fulltime.

If I was a FL part timer/remote worker, I'd probably just do an RV with a campground until I found "my spot". There's so much good water in FL but honestly finding a community is just as important.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, guys. Really appreciate the responses. I know I’ll probably get a few “don’t come here” posts, which is completely understandable. But again, thanks for sharing. Keep ‘em coming!

·
Registered
Perfection Challenger
68 Posts
Personally I’d find the least developed area I could with snook around. South Florida and the Keys are great but it’s too crowded and too expensive now.

Wherever you go keep it quiet or it will soon be ruined. :)

Even more important, DO NOT post anything on social media or your spots will look like parking lots. Google how Instagram has ruined all the National Parks.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,142 Posts
Somewhere fairly rural between Destin and Crystal River.

Fewer people, less developed, tons of beautiful forest land, great fishing with less pressure (and great variety), and hunting inland (lots of quail, turkey, deer, and ducks). Plus it's still relatively low cost of living.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Tampa's waterways are an absolute disaster right now so I doubt you'll want to make a financial commitment anywhere north of Naples.
With all due respect to your "experience" mason, this is not true at all. However, for the sake of having less competition to my home waters, lets say I agree with you ;)

·
Registered
61 Posts
With all due respect to your "experience" mason, this is not true at all. However, for the sake of having less competition to my home waters, lets say I agree with you ;)
Right, I'm sure Tampa is fantastic

·
Registered
27 Posts
I did this same soul searching about 18 months ago and decided on the Keys specifically the Big Pine area.
My reasoning:
  1. Couldn't afford Upper Keys, Marathon or Key West for the type of house i wanted
  2. Airport/travel, medical facilities, Amazon delivery and WiFi access is much better than places like Panama, Colombia, Belize and Costa Rica*
  3. Good Scuba diving (This seemed to be a non-starter for North Florida)
  4. Good back country access
  5. Good Gulf access
  6. Good Blue Water/Atlantic fishing access.
While we started looking at Big Pine ended up with a place on Little Torch....Almost certainly would have been happy anything East of Geiger Key. (We fly in/out of Key West)

Good Luck w/ your search

*I am married and while i was very interested in these other country locations understood my wife would likely not enjoy the isolation

PS With the house inflation prices in the last 18 months, even the lower Keys /Big Pine area may now be priced beyond me.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
534 Posts
If I was single, I would have a spot with some land in the Big Bend. I live in NE FL and it is seriously devastating watching the amount of development and number of northerners move in. I suspect it is the same in much of South Florida. But with all of us giving suggestions for the Big Bend, it'll probably be ruined within a couple decades as well. Every day I read about new developments coming in around me, and all of the comments are from residents who are pissed off about the traffic, lack of infrastructure, crowds, not to mention the politics...why do we keep allowing this?? Developers need to get out of bed with politicians...there's just too much of a conflict of interest and at the end of the day it is not what the majority of Floridians want.

Sorry, I digress....

·
Registered
Ocean kayak
1,196 Posts
If I was single, I would have a spot with some land in the Big Bend. I live in NE FL and it is seriously devastating watching the amount of development and number of northerners move in. I suspect it is the same in much of South Florida. But with all of us giving suggestions for the Big Bend, it'll probably be ruined within a couple decades as well. Every day I read about new developments coming in around me, and all of the comments are from residents who are pissed off about the traffic, lack of infrastructure, crowds, not to mention the politics...why do we keep allowing this?? Developers need to get out of bed with politicians...there's just too much of a conflict of interest and at the end of the day it is not what the majority of Floridians want.

Sorry, I digress....
The same thing is happening on the space coast, where I live. It's really a shame.

·
Registered
378 Posts
The area that most resembles old Florida with a tight knit local southern community, with influx from Midwest and northeast the old Florida culture is endangered. I like the big bend area and port st joe or just east in the unnamed town that needs no more attention

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I was born and raised in Florida all my life. Born and grew up in Destin. Lived in the Space Coast for 17 years from the late 80's until the early 2000's. Moved back to Destin in 2004 and have been living here ever since. I am 60 years old. I told myself when I moved back here that this would be the place I would die. Now, I am reconsidering that decision. But I don't know where else I would go. The real estate prices are staggering. The water quality across the state is on the decline and in some places has already tipped past coming back for a while. I love vacationing out west where I can find open, uncrowded spaces.
That being said, I love the panhandle. it is a little less crowded than other parts of the state. The red fishing is good. The beaches are beautiful the water is still good. And I only live 3 hours from the Louisiana marsh and we can leave at 4 AM, fish all day and be home by 7.
And I do take 3 or 4 trips a year to the south, like the Everglades, Stuart, and the Space Coast to fish.
It is interesting because a few years ago (Before Covid) I was reading about how for the 1st time in history there would be more people living in big cities than in the country. But I think that trend has reversed or at least slowed down with more and more people from the cities trying to relocate elsewhere. And it is not just Florida experiencing it, Texas, NM, WY, ID and Montana are being overrun with people moving there.
Right now, Florida has 1000 people a day moving here.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts