Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
You know I fished for reds out of Savannah Georgia. Fantastic. Caught over 20 in one day. Loved the marshes. Nice size fish, not the monsters but very nice.

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,500 Posts
I've been to Alaska 3 times, fly in stay in the wilderness. Fly fish only for leopard rainbows, char and greyling. Also Montana, Yellowstone, Hebgan Lake
Now I want something bigger than a 30" fish
Tarpon, GT, False Albacore or Tuna on fly

Reactions: crboggs

·
Registered
62 Posts
It's probably going to be April or May, so it's looking like it would be further south. My dad isn't a particularly experienced fisherman but he is in his 50's so we can fish pretty much anything. I really want to sight fish for some bucket list fish like tarpon and bonefish, but I love fly fishing for trout too which is why the steelhead and salmon look so attractive- just not sure how tough it would be to fish for them in the spring.
very, very good time to fish S / SW Florida, baits moving, fish are moving, just before the rains start.

·
Brandon, FL
10,100 Posts
It's probably going to be April or May, so it's looking like it would be further south. My dad isn't a particularly experienced fisherman but he is in his 50's so we can fish pretty much anything. I really want to sight fish for some bucket list fish like tarpon and bonefish, but I love fly fishing for trout too which is why the steelhead and salmon look so attractive- just not sure how tough it would be to fish for them in the spring.
Salmon are fall except if you go out trolling for them.

Steelhead are both fall and spring except they are back out of the rivers shortly after the ice melt. There is an exception, Skamania is a breed of summer run steelhead.

Salmon - Sept and Oct
Steelhead - Nov and Dec (fall) Feb and Mar (spring)
Skamania - Jun and July
(These are the times they are in the rivers in Michigan)

·
I Love microskiff.com!
124 Posts
Sitka, Alaska in August! Do a float plane trip to fish the base of some of the Alpine lakes for Silver Salmon on fly!
Most favorite and unique fishing trip I’ve ever been on.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,462 Posts
After reading through this post and all the responses, I better understand just how blessed I am to be able to regularly fish the waters of Biscayne Bay, the Middle Keys, Florida Bay, the Ten Thousand Islands and Everglades National Park. While the fishing in these areas is still world class, it is no where near as good as it was even just 15 years ago when I really started focusing on these areas and sort of figuring out what I am doing. We have serious issues with water quality degradation here, and I encourage all members to join and support such organizations as Captains for Clean Water, the Bonefish and Tarpon Trust, Now or Neverglades, and Bullsugar. I have 3 grandchildren and I pray that they will be able to enjoy these waters as much or more than I have. We have a legacy to support and preserve.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've been following this post and decided to take action. 10 years or so ago, we did a pack in to the Bridger-Teton Wilderness and fished for 5 days on the Soda Fork of the Buffalo River in Wyoming. No big fish but HUGE memories. This year (2021) I've booked fishing the Flathead River near Glacier National Park.

Next on the list will be Florida

·
Registered
481 Posts
I think is funny that we long to go across the country to fish while another person on the other side of the country would give anything to fish where we are now. I am a mile from the St Johns River, but I drive 40 min to the Lagoon. Passing bass boats on the way heading to the St Johns.

·
Registered
599 Posts
There's a chance that if you plan to go this coming spring that some of the lodges/guides are already booked.
And if you're planning on Yellowstone or other mountain region, remember the spring thaw and runoff. Many watersheds are blown out from runoff.

·
Brandon, FL
10,100 Posts
I think is funny that we long to go across the country to fish while another person on the other side of the country would give anything to fish where we are now. I am a mile from the St Johns River, but I drive 40 min to the Lagoon. Passing bass boats on the way heading to the St Johns.
I think it i wonderful that we have so many species available to use to fish for. Catching them all in one place is the problem and the reason we travel.

If you want to catch a salmon, you have to go north. If you live up north and want to catch a bonefish you have to come south.

This is a great country we live in. Some countries are relegated to carp.

·
Registered
366 Posts
That's true. I remember making the determination to fish and learn my backdoor waters for trout in NH as opposed to going to Montana. I did that and still travel of course. When I graduated from college I decided to hitchhike America to learn about it's small towns and our people. Did it for 2 1/2 years visited 43 states. Instead of going overseas.

·
Premium Member
1,674 Posts
I think it i wonderful that we have so many species available to use to fish for. Catching them all in one place is the problem and the reason we travel.
Not a problem at all to me. I consider the traveling the icing on the cake to fly fishing.
Although if Florida had a few real mountains I probably never would have left.
I'd just have to travel a little from there now and then.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Would have to be the Flying B Ranch in Kamiah, Idaho an Orvis-Endorsed lodge with world class fishing and hunting. Cast and Blast in the same trip.

Alternative Choice’s would be:
1. Boundary Waters - A Canoer’s Paradise
2. Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
3. Ascension Bay, Yucatan - Casa or Playa Blanca
4. Alaska West - Kanektok River

All on my bucket list.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Any long range trip leaving out of San Diego. Summer can yield Bluefin Tuna, Yellowtail, Dorado and the elusive Albacore. Fall, Winter and Spring, typically longer trips in the 9 -16 day range target giant Yellowing Tuna and Wahoo. The boats are 5 star, food is unmatched and you'll have the time of your life. PM me if you'd like more info. My boat of choice is Royal Star, check them out.

61 - 80 of 86 Posts