41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm leaving the US 3/4 times.

Fresh: 5 lb brook trout and wild Atlantic Salmon in Labrador
Salt: Grand Slam in Ascension Bay, Quintana Roo, Mexico
For the views/nature: Banff National Park, Alberta, Canada
Honorable Mention: Here, home in Virginia, the New River for the incredible smallmouth float and wade opportunities
New River has great Musky too. I'm in VA!

·
Premium Member
1,674 Posts
Alaska. Sign up for one of those week long fly in trips where they drop you off and give you a map and a boat.
I might be a little biased about Alaska.
I've got family there and my mother was a native.
One of the first things you might notice is how clear the air is.
Then when your out and about it may dawn on you that in this day and age where your at may only see a handful of people per year. Night sky the stars are so numerous it's breath taking. My most favorite trip, the fishing really wasn't what you might expect. The catching part was a zillion grayling to a handful of steelhead. As the float plan came in to land on the lake to drop us off I saw a monster size lake trout, it was that big. I spent a few hours fishing the lake but no takers.

If your only going once I'd recommend going to one of the bigger lodges where it's used as the "main base" where one day they may take you to the local river, the next a boat /float trip and if you have the time and money fly you to a remote cabin where you can spend a few days experiencing Alaska like it's been for 100's of thousands of years.

It's a toss up for me as to fishing Alaska or the Everglades.
Fishing Alaska is like fishing in a hatchery, but sight fishing Tarpon, Snook and what ever else you may run across in Florida can be epic.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Cape cod running and gunning for bluefin tuna with poppers and stickbaits. Stripers are also around.
Labrador for monster brook trout and pike.

·
Registered
62 Posts
make it a Florida road trip (sorta).....
  • 10,000 Islands - middle, upper,.....(inshore - snook, reds, trout, tarpon)
  • Islamorada / Marathon, ..... (offshore - sailfish, dolphin, wahoo, tuna)
  • Bahamas - Exumas close enough to count as North America, jump on a plane Marathon or Miami.....(bonefish and culture)

...three completely different worlds, all within a very close distance, that would be a really nice trip.

·
Registered
162 Posts
In October I had 2 follows on a fly from a monster Musky on the James NW of Lynchburg. The views on the New match the incredible smallie and musky action, too.
The entire James has musky, but there are a few stretches that are killer. Also, the Shenandoah area would be an easy DIY trip. Native brook trout, huge browns, smallies, musky, etc. If you need some spots, shoot me a PM.

The New has bigger fish and pretty views for sure. The gorge area is stunning.

·
Registered
1999 Scout 162 Sportfish
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
You looking to catch some specific fish of a lifetime, or generally enjoy time with your family while fishing? Is it more about the trip or the fish? How mobile is your father?

What month are you considering spring?
It's probably going to be April or May, so it's looking like it would be further south. My dad isn't a particularly experienced fisherman but he is in his 50's so we can fish pretty much anything. I really want to sight fish for some bucket list fish like tarpon and bonefish, but I love fly fishing for trout too which is why the steelhead and salmon look so attractive- just not sure how tough it would be to fish for them in the spring.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
389 Posts
This thread has got me thinking - what is the most remote place in the SE US where you have good opportunities to catch redfish? Everglades, Big Bend of Florida and Louisiana delta but what am I missing? I don't know much about the TX Gulf Coast or North Carolina. Problem with all of these is the fishing pressure is picking up exponentially; there has to be some other areas, even if the sightseeing isn't so great where the fish aren't pressured.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Wind blows there is still is very little pressure In Louisiana...compared to the 1000s or acres or marsh and places to go..you can launch with 200 boats and hardly see one all day. If sightfishing redfish there is nowhere I’ve been in Florida that comes close to LA.. the fish just eat !!!even when it’s slow u catch 20-30fish. In Florida now I’d have to say Nature coast for numbers and sightfishing. This is an awesome thread tho...I’d love to try some freshwater stuff

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
This thread has got me thinking - what is the most remote place in the SE US where you have good opportunities to catch redfish? Everglades, Big Bend of Florida and Louisiana delta but what am I missing? I don't know much about the TX Gulf Coast or North Carolina. Problem with all of these is the fishing pressure is picking up exponentially; there has to be some other areas, even if the sightseeing isn't so great where the fish aren't pressured.
Deep in the glades/10 k islands is still fairly remote plenty of spots to fish

41 - 60 of 86 Posts