Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

21 - 40 of 86 Posts

·
Brandon, FL
10,100 Posts
That sounds really really good.

Christmas Island is definitely on my bucket list.

In general, anyplace in the salt I can sight cast at fish in water so shallow they can't keep their backs in the water.
Branch out man - try fighting salmon and steelhead in a fast moving river. You can thank me later.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Huge wilderness area in N.E. MN. It is an amazing place and very remote.

In 1978 our family was vacationing there and we ended up talking to a guy and he snapped some pictures and then he sent us a story he wrote - it was in National Geographic magazine.
Sounds and looks like a place you could disappear into and happily go full Jeremiah Johnson for the rest of your life.

·
Premium Member
1,674 Posts
a purely fishing trip with ... family...
First choose the type of fishing and what for,
then just where is the "BEST" place to make it happen.

Personally, a spring trip.. I'd give lemaymiami a call and ask him what he had to offer that time of year.
Sight fishing southern Florida is about as exciting as it gets.

Alaska is the other, but I only go in September or October.

Those two spots when you hit them right still have some unbelievably good fishing, fly/spin/cast or deep sea.

·
Brandon, FL
10,100 Posts
King salmon on fly is a completely different and epic game from any other freshwater fishing, makes it hard to ever want to catch trout again
I grew up learning to fly fish for trout. Then I moved to steelhead and around 8 I was fishing for salmon. I can not tell you how many times I was pulled into the rivers filling my wader with water until I got big enough to handle the fish. As I spent many years fishing for them I learned a huge secret to catching them and then it no longer was fishing but catching.

Steelhead are called the fish of a million casts for a reason.

·
Plays with Glass...
1,214 Posts
Sounds and looks like a place you could disappear into and happily go full Jeremiah Johnson for the rest of your life.
There are guys who solo trip out there for months at a time and only come back in for supplies. 2 million acres of forest and fish

·
I Love microskiff.com!
132 Posts
I'm hoping to go on a purely fishing trip with my dad and brother this spring, and there are so many places I want to go. We're pretty much limited to North America and I really want to hear what other people would want to do or what trips you have gone on and loved.
Marquesas

·
Registered
Capt Parker D
127 Posts
I grew up learning to fly fish for trout. Then I moved to steelhead and around 8 I was fishing for salmon. I can not tell you how many times I was pulled into the rivers filling my wader with water until I got big enough to handle the fish. As I spent many years fishing for them I learned a huge secret to catching them and then it no longer was fishing but catching.
Yep, I went 7 for 30 across two days. Got by butt handed to me by more than half of the ones I hooked

·
Registered
410 Posts
Just got back from a last minute trip to Meeteetsie. Hunted mallards on the Greybull and chukar away from the river. Wasn't quite pheasant season yet. Figure I'll try fishing next time. What could I have caught in the Greybull?

·
Registered
127 Posts
You looking to catch some specific fish of a lifetime, or generally enjoy time with your family while fishing? Is it more about the trip or the fish? How mobile is your father?

What month are you considering spring?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Wow 23 countries to choose from. For me it would be Alaska. Was there once and it just blew me away with so much untouched still by humans.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,235 Posts
Alaska. Sign up for one of those week long fly in trips where they drop you off and give you a map and a boat.

·
will pole for food
893 Posts
Depends on time of year, but I would have to choose between:
first week of June in Alaska to throw mice
Espiritu Santo Bay
#Fairhope, Alabama

·
Registered
773 Posts
Just got back from a last minute trip to Meeteetsie. Hunted mallards on the Greybull and chukar away from the river. Wasn't quite pheasant season yet. Figure I'll try fishing next time. What could I have caught in the Greybull?
Shhhhhh

21 - 40 of 86 Posts