If not WOOD then WHAT?

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by Delmer, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Delmer

Delmer I Love microskiff.com!

Ok now that I have the old seats and deck out of the skiff and getting ready to flip her over to sand and paint I started thinking about the new decks and such. If I don't want to use wood to build my decks and floor then what is available and where NEAR Orlando can I get it. I understand there will probably be a significant price difference but I really don't mind.

Thanks for the help.

2. swaddict

swaddict Thread Killer

Starboard, aluminum with seadeck, ask whitesnooky (i believe he just did a deck with a different product)

3. Gramps

Gramps Living & Dying in 3/4 Time

Coosa, Divynicell, nidacore, and there are more composite cores. It all depends on how much you want to spend. But be aware that you'll be using more fiberglass & resin with a foam core vs. wood. Reason being foam cores have very little inherent structural integrity. If proper techniques are used along with marine grade plywood it will last a very long time.

Just my $0.02 ;)

Good luck!

4. twitch

twitch Well-Known Member

Ya hit the nail on the head.
    Good ol marine ply and biaxial glass.

5. jhadden

jhadden I Love microskiff.com!

AC exterior plywood uses the same glue as MG... only difference is no gaps in plies of MG. Lots cheaper and just as strong. My. 02

6. Frank_Sebastian

Frank_Sebastian Well-Known Member

Look carefully at the grade stamp and information on exterior plywood. All that I have seen from the big box stores say it is for construction in protected areas.

It should say exposure 1 or exterior. There shouldn't be a disclaimer on the price tag that says for temporary exposure during construction. resorcinal glues show up as a brown glue line between the plies of wood core materials. Phenolic resin glues are preferred by most and are harder to see.

Frank_S

7. topnative2

topnative2 Well-Known Member

http://boatbuildercentral.com

ck it out