Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok now that I have the old seats and deck out of the skiff and getting ready to flip her over to sand and paint I started thinking about the new decks and such. If I don't want to use wood to build my decks and floor then what is available and where NEAR Orlando can I get it. I understand there will probably be a significant price difference but I really don't mind.

Thanks for the help.

·
Thread Killer
693 Posts
Starboard, aluminum with seadeck, ask whitesnooky (i believe he just did a deck with a different product)

·
Living & Dying in 3/4 Time
2,558 Posts
Coosa, Divynicell, nidacore, and there are more composite cores. It all depends on how much you want to spend. But be aware that you'll be using more fiberglass & resin with a foam core vs. wood. Reason being foam cores have very little inherent structural integrity. If proper techniques are used along with marine grade plywood it will last a very long time.

Just my $0.02 ;)

Good luck!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Coosa, Divynicell, nidacore, and there are more composite cores.  It all depends on how much you want to spend.  But be aware that you'll be using more fiberglass & resin with a foam core vs. wood.  Reason being foam cores have very little inherent structural integrity.  If proper techniques are used along with marine grade plywood it will last a very long time.

Just my $0.02  ;)

Good luck!
Ya hit the nail on the head.
Good ol marine ply and biaxial glass.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2 Posts
AC exterior plywood uses the same glue as MG... only difference is no gaps in plies of MG. Lots cheaper and just as strong. My. 02

·
Registered
786 Posts
Look carefully at the grade stamp and information on exterior plywood. All that I have seen from the big box stores say it is for construction in protected areas.

It should say exposure 1 or exterior. There shouldn't be a disclaimer on the price tag that says for temporary exposure during construction. resorcinal glues show up as a brown glue line between the plies of wood core materials. Phenolic resin glues are preferred by most and are harder to see.

Frank_S

1 - 7 of 7 Posts