If a You Had $800 To Spend..

Discussion in 'Power it up with Electronics' started by swampfox, Nov 5, 2014.

1. swampfox

swampfox 01 Hells Bay Guide.07 ECC LOSTMEN-sold

on a new GPS unit. What would be your choice? I am having a hard time with all this. There are a lot of options. I have been leaning to a Dragonfly. It's going on a HB Guide CC that I mainly use inshore backwater. But will use some on a large deep lake up the road. So I do want some good bottom detail like chirp. And I go deep into the Glades about twice a year. So the GPS overlay is a big plus. No more sticking my head inside my shirt to see my stupid iPhone. What are you opinions?

2. Snookdaddy

Snookdaddy Well-Known Member

The Dragonfly GPS will be the next I put on my Waterman and you will be able to pick one up for $499 or less if you can wait for Black Friday sales.. West Marine had them online last year for this price including the gold card and transducer..

I love my old Garmin 182c for the built in tide charts. I don't thing Raymarine units offer this feature..

3. swampfox

I didn't know they didn't have the tide charts. That is something I have always like about my Garmins also. Now that I am up in SC. That's important with these 6 foot plus tides ;D. The only negatives I have heard is about the mounting being flimsy. And it is a stand alone so you can't network it with other stuff.

4. swampfox

Snook the Navionics Plat has the tides and current. Plus you get the Sat overlay. So I am gonna hold out for a sale on Dragonfly7 without a Gold chip. Unless somebody can convince me other wise :)

5. hferrell87

hferrell87 Well-Known Member

I just bought the Garmin 547xs and am very pleased with its performance so far. Being able to hook up through wireless is awesome for updates and creating your own track from you pc. I get tide info, wind speed, weather, etc... Good luck with your search!

6. ifsteve

ifsteve Well-Known Member

7. Vertigo

Vertigo Carpe Diem

Choose a system that will accept the Navionics Platinum Plus cards if you want to run the satellite overlay.  I don't think the Dragonfly will.  Go here: http://www.navionics.com/sites/www.navionics.com/files/documents/Americas_CompatibilityGuide_4.pdf

The Humminbird 859c HD DI or 858c HD DI go for around $600 street price and are high resolution units that run the Platinum Plus.  The Simrad NSS8 is a nice unit but costs twice as much.

8. swampfox

I found the Dragonfly7 for $550. I will need the programmable card. Because my areas would require two cards to cover it. I assume I can get the Sat overlay with the programmable card. Gonna have to make sure. That is definitely something I need in the Glades.

9. Snookdaddy

Snookdaddy Well-Known Member

10. Les_Lammers

Les_Lammers Well-Known Member

I'm leaning towards a Garmin Montana marine bundle for $499.

11. Vertigo

Vertigo Carpe Diem

The Dragonfly will NOT run a Platinum Plus card.

12. crisslackwater

crisslackwater I Love microskiff.com!

The Dragonfly is NOT using CHIRP technology.

13. swampfox

Somebody needs to tell Raymarine that. They clearly state that is using dual sonar chirp technology in ever add they have. Can you clarify your statement? Also GPSstore now has them at $530 with gold card. My local West marine stated they were not gonna have em on sale this year.

14. swampfox

This is correct. But it will Navionics+ Which is the programmable one. Which is what I need to keep me from having to buy multiple chips. But can I get the Sat overlays with the +?

15. Vertigo

Vertigo Carpe Diem

You need to be able to run the Platinum Plus card to get the satellite overlay. You can not get a satellite overlay on the Dragonfly.

16. swampfox

So you cannot get Sat overlay on the programmable cards? If so that really blows for me. It means I will have to get two cards.

17. Vertigo

Vertigo Carpe Diem

You can get as many cards as you like, but you still won't be able to run a satellite overlay on the Dragonfly.

18. crisslackwater

crisslackwater I Love microskiff.com!

Sorry, I don't think I need to tell Raymarine anything. They know this and continue to mislead.

You should spend your money as you see fit. For me, CHIRP technology comes at a price, for now, and it is a little beyond $530.00. Look around, anyone else selling CHIRP units at that price point? Talk to other electronics engineers, then form your own opinion.

19. swampfox

That is the whole break thru with this unit. It was CHIRP at a lower price. Are you a electronics engineer? You kind of implied that with the "other". Can you explain the difference between the two? That was bold statement you made. Not saying you are wrong. Just when you have one of the biggest and most respected names in the business saying one thing. Then some guy on a forum saying they are lying. I would like to have some specifics on why. Everywhere I studied up on CHIRP was the same info. It's just a spectrum of different frequencies. Instead of the single frequency that has been used for decades now. Maybe you are confused with the stronger models for depths to 10,000' that the commercial guys use. And yes they are usually three times the cost of this unit. But it's still CHIRP technology at a lower power for inshore and lakes. And I don't know about you but $900 is a lot of money to me. The Dragonfly is off the table with me now anyhow. Due to the lack of Sat overlay. Looking into the A series now.

20. Vertigo

Vertigo Carpe Diem

For inshore fishing in shallow water a fish finder is sort of useless.  I didn't even bother to hook the transducer up on my latest boat.  Maybe this will help explain what Raymarine calls "CHIRP Downvision":

"So what’s the difference between the CHIRP capability found in $500 to $800 multifunction displays — such as the Raymarine Dragonfly, Lowrance Elite-5 CHIRP and Garmin’s smaller xs machines — and the original $2,000 black-box add-ons like Simrad’s BSM-2, Furuno’s DFF1-UHD, Garmin’s GSD 26, Raymarine’s CP450C and Humminbird’s new SM3000?

Chiefly: depth and power. Higher-priced CHIRP units and their higher-priced transducers can transmit signals across one to two frequency ranges (ranges that start at 28 to 60 kHz, for instance, to a high of 130 to 210 kHz) with 1 to 3 kW of power, reaching depths to 10,000 feet. These units pick apart the entire water column and operate more effectively than non-CHIRP versions at higher boat speeds.

Lower-priced 300- and 600-watt units usually send signals through just one frequency range for traditional sonar. Raymarine’s Dragonfly MFD and CP100 black box, for instance, chirp through the 170 to 230 kHz range for fish finding to depths of 600 feet. (Additionally, they use CHIRP DownVision imaging to better locate structure, sweeping from 320 to 380 kHz frequencies.)

“With the higher-end CHIRP sonar, you can dial in the frequency too,” says Raymarine marketing manager Jim McGowan. “So they’re kind of programmable.” These top units usually can display side-by-side views from both CHIRP channels simultaneously as well."