Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any ideas or know of good apps to save satellite images of the bahamas to be able to look at them without internet connection and still have gps functions? I usually screen shot stuff. Things seem to work different when in the bahamas using wifi.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I think if you create a google map file with satellite imagery and then save it to phone you can open on app in phone without signal. I’ve done this before for work but never without cellular data service so it might just be pulling from the cloud IDK.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Bamajo is right. You can use google maps to make areas available “offline” on your phone. Probably your easiest option.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have spent some time trying to download google maps in the offline mode but it will only save a very basic road map. I cannot get it to save satellite images for the bahamas.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have spent some time trying to download google maps in the offline mode but it will only save a very basic road map. I cannot get it to save satellite images for the bahamas.
I suppose the sat images would be substantially larger than the basic map. Crap!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
217 Posts
You can use Avenza .pdf maps. However, you have to create the map as a georeferenced .pdf document. Therefore you would need some sort of software to do this, such as ArcMap. Not sure if there is another way to create the map—but might be worth digging into.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I like and use an App called Gaia GPS. It has great satellite or topo maps, allows for tracking routes, speeds, waypoints etc. All the typical GPS functionality. I use it for hunting, backpacking and fishing.
Also allows you to drag an area selection to download the maps to the local device for when you don’t have cell connectivity.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I use an app called OffMaps for fishing out of Flamingo with no cell service. Works well

·
I Love microskiff.com!
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys! For reference someone showed me you can download satellite images using google maps for using offline. Some areas do seem to not capture as great of detail. Many others have recommended gaia gps but not sure how good their sat images of the bahamas are.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts