Ideas for a pump-less baitwell?

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by 1BadPFS, Jun 18, 2009.

1. 1BadPFS

1BadPFS Built not bought...

I'm trying to figure out a way to make a setup for my skiff. maybe a series of shut-off valves and a check in there somewhere? Put your thinkin caps on and shoot me some ideas.

2. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Old school baitwells were transom mounted boxes,
    with a pickup tube so that the forward motion
    of the hull resupplied the water while on plane.
    No electronics, no pumps, no valves,
    just a drainplug to remove at the end of the day.
    Like on my 1987 Boston Whaler

Waterflow holes just like an old shrimp bucket...

[​IMG]

Hinged and locking lid...

[​IMG]

Sumpwick hanging out the low point drainhole
    and the pickup tube just visible underneath...

[​IMG]

Even has an original FCA decal on the transom,
    from just prior to the ban the nets campaign.

3. 1BadPFS

Transom mounted boxes would probably work well, and give me a fixed tab effect also. This hull has a center seat with a livewell already in it, so I kinda want to stick with that.

Anyhow, I was thinking of a pickup toward the side of the hull that would only be in the water off-plane. put a check in it with a shutoff valve in case I didn't want to use the livewell, or I wanted to use it like a cooler. Then a dump hose on the other side of the hull toward the top and a drain hole with a plug. I guess I still gotta see where it sits in the water to know if its possible.

4. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

You could also install 2 thru-hull strainers.
    One small diameter facing forward, to push water in.
    The other a larger diameter facing aft as the overflow.
    The height of the large strainer tube would determine
    the overflow height. But you'd still need a circulator pump
    when not moving. The transom boxes had so many holes
    no pumps were needed. A side benefit of the transom box,
    the smell of the bait leaked out and acted as a chum line.

5. paint it black

paint it black Paddling away...

Just a question. I don't mean to derail the thread. My friend just bought a 19' Robalo. The live well looks rather risky. Its kind of like a jon boat live well. lol It's a compartment just behind the leaning post. Two wooden doors with the live well. There are no pumps or fittings or hoses or nothing. It's just one hole on the bottom that goes down to the bottom of the hull. I know this works on jon boats, but it just looks risky. He was wondering if it's safe. I've seen a couple other boats with similar wells, but they had a pipe going through the hole that raised the hole above the water line. So water comes in when stopped, and leaves when riding. But this is just a hole.

6. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Robalo 19 was a Ray Hunt design,
    full foam floatation gunnel to gunnel.
    Self bailing, pretty much unsinkable.
    Water coming in only went so far and that was it.
    My guess is, without pictures, the overflow from the well
    simply drains out the scuppers in the cockpit.

7. Un-shore

Un-shore Well-Known Member

With a free flowing system you would only get the water to be as deep as the water line of how low your boat sits in the water at rest. Good on bigger boats but a boat that is shallow..

In order to hold more water I guess you are thinking scoop up the water while you run up to an overflow tube and trap it with a check valve in your inlet. The thing is you would have to aerate it when you stop.

My thought is since you have to plumb it and power an aereator why not just install a livewell pump?

my $.02

8. 1BadPFS

Yep, its looking like theres no way to do this and keep bait fresh. I talked to a few people last night and they said that if you want a baitwell that'll hod greenies or pilchards, it needs to have water circulating constantly.

My whole point in doing this was to eliminate the need for a bigger battery. If the starter motor, bilge, and the lights are the only draw I had, then I could have used a small odyssey, like my PC680. I might still be able to get away with it...

9. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

solar powered pump?

[​IMG]

10. B.Lee

B.Lee Well-Known Member

I have always used a free-flowing well in the past, just a square well with two holes drilled through the floor to circulate water. I've always fished with hardy baits though, mullet, pinfish, shrimp, etc. Pogies or greenies wouldn't live long in this set up.

11. 1BadPFS

after some calculations, the small battery I have should last close to 8 hours with a pumps load on it, not counting reserve capacity. Thats plenty, considering my OB has a charging system on it. ;D

12. paint it black

paint it black Paddling away...

I don't mean to further derail this thread. I'm just trying to pick at the brain of Brett a bit. There's no access to a bilge area on his boat. Is that normal? There's no where to put a bilge pump, and the hull is completely closed in. I guess like a whaler. It has some weird looking things with ping pong balls that he said serve as a check valve I guess. The balls allow water to flow in one direction.

13. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

The ping pong balls are a directional flow control.
    Have your friend talk to the guys at the robalo owners forum
    for better info on the design and use of the baitwell...

http://www.robaloboatowners.com/forum/

http://forum.robalo.com/index.php?act=idx

I've never owned one, just fished from one.
    Here's a post regarding the livewell...

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/7934-1983-robalo.html