Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,
Not sure if this is the right spot to post.
There is not much in the way of flats skiffs to purchase up here in Ontario Canada.
So I have been looking at potentially building my own 16 foot tiller skiff (30 hp max) with casting deck up front and platform in the back. I flyfish the lakes and rivers up here (protected waters).

With nothing to purchase on the used market up here, I was thinking of doing a resto-mod project and taking a good used hull and doing some work on it as a winter project.
I expect that I would need to reconfigure the interior, putting some added stringers or support, work on the transom, wiring, and putting a completely new top on the boat.
I have a good heated shop with tools and pretty handy (when I have instructions).

There are alot of old fiberglass runabout fishing hulls available in my area that look to be in good shape (dry, sturdy). Most have a fairly deep v up front.
My question is what is the ideal hull as a starting point for the project. I would want it to get in some shallow water..but probably nothing less than 10-12 inches.
My ideal designs are like the SimpleBoats CF16, Hells Bay Guide or Eldora, etc.....

I have attached a few pictures of what is typically available around here. I am trying to find some with a little bit less of a deep V . Not alot of old bass boats around here and they would seem like a bit more work because they center consoles...which I would want to remove.

Any suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated.....this is a great community and site and look forward to contributing.

Andy
Ontario, Canada
1000 Islands/St.Lawrence, Rideau Lakes
Vehicle Boat Car Hood Motor vehicle
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Boat Tread
Boat Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Watercraft Naval architecture Motor vehicle

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have always wondered how long it will be before the poling skiff-style boat catches on up there for backwater fly fishing!

If you're not trying to get in anything skinnier than a foot, any of the older glass boats you described will be great candidates for a resto-mod skiff! Strip it, repair the hull/transom/stringers if needed, glass in a false floor & decks, & you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have always wondered how long it will be before the poling skiff-style boat catches on up there for backwater fly fishing!

If you're not trying to get in anything skinnier than a foot, any of the older glass boats you described will be great candidates for a resto-mod skiff! Strip it, repair the hull/transom/stringers if needed, glass in a false floor & decks, & you'll be good to go.
Thanks. It is surprising there are not more poling/flat water skiffs up here. There are lots of flat bottom aluminum jon boats.

·
I Love Skinny Water
7,189 Posts
The hull looks like it would ride good in chop. Don't put too much weight in it and it should draft shallow. Are you going to set it up like a flats skiff, PP platform, pole, casting platform?. I like it

Reactions: nirv996

·
Registered
2000 Hyde
25 Posts
Following along in hopes of seeing thoughts and ideas on this. A simple skiff style that will handle a little chop. Right now I am using my drift boat for fishing stillwaters, while it works it is not ideal for getting very far from a ramp.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts