Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
685 Posts
You can also buy the fluid that goes in most of these gel packs and make your own water bottles or whatever, just gotta be sure not to accidentally drink them. I've also heard of using frozen saltwater as it gets colder.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
FWIW, I tried the Chillen' Brew packs and they are 'better' than ice. They simply stay cold and last longer.

https://arctic-ice.com/
Any science backing that up? I just think it’s because the cold stuff, the fluid is contained instead of melting away from the frozen core. That’s why it last longer. I like jugs of ice, and still prefer frozen ice cubes around my items. Not the ice machine cubes already melting when purchased. I do use small ones like you found for lunch bags and coolers for the family.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Any science backing that up? I just think it’s because the cold stuff, the fluid is contained instead of melting away from the frozen core. That’s why it last longer. I like jugs of ice, and still prefer frozen ice cubes around my items. Not the ice machine cubes already melting when purchased. I do use small ones like you found for lunch bags and coolers for the family.
I'll say this...the Cooler Shocks are definitely "colder than ice". I've had water bottles freeze, food freeze, etc. that were in direct contact with the "ice" pack. Not sure if they stay cold longer...but definitely colder.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
How does something you put into a freezer become colder than another item in the freezer? The warmer item must generate heat then. Thaw rates may be different, or ability to absorb warmth or give off cold when in use.

·
Registered
284 Posts
How does something you put into a freezer become colder than another item in the freezer? The warmer item must generate heat then. Thaw rates may be different, or ability to absorb warmth or give off cold when in use.
I’ve always wondered about this claim when I’ve heard it. I’m no scientist but if my freezer is set to 10 degrees, won’t all items eventually get to 10 degrees? Just because ice forms at 32 doesn’t mean it doesn’t get colder than that after freezing. I imagine the real difference is in thaw rate which would likely vary based on the medium and other variables.

·
Banned
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’ve always wondered about this claim when I’ve heard it. I’m no scientist but if my freezer is set to 10 degrees, won’t all items eventually get to 10 degrees? Just because ice forms at 32 doesn’t mean it doesn’t get colder than that after freezing. I imagine the real difference is in thaw rate which would likely vary based on the medium and other variables.
The liquid in the blocks has a lower freezing point than water so they stay colder longer when used in a well insulated cooler.

Engle has a similar product. https://www.amazon.com/Engel-Cooler...3SH61T9PZSJ&psc=1&refRID=DMJXHAFZ13SH61T9PZSJ

·
Registered
138 Posts
My deep freeze goes to zero, others vary. Obviously the block will not go below the freezers temperature point, regardless of its rating. I have several of the 10 degree packs and I can definitely freeze my lunch.. they tend to keep the cooler cold longer if I keep it closed. Chunk ice definitely cools things down faster due to contact and slurry. Putting a few 10 or 0 degree packs in with the ice seems to help on bigger coolers.

·
Brandon, FL
10,959 Posts
Saw dust and water. Look up the ratio.

The down side is you can't drink it like frozen water bottles.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Water mixed with salt freezes and melts at a lower temperature than pure water. Ice cools things by absorbing energy as it melts. Because salt water freezes / melts at a lower temperature it absorbs more energy as it melts, keeping your drinks colder longer.

·
Registered
262 Posts
BobGee. That is an intelligent description of how this works. But nothing you put in a freezer gets colder than another which some tend to believe.
True. If it’s 10 in the freezer it doesn’t get colder than 10. But ice cools by absorbing energy (heat) as it melts. If the initial temperature was the important factor we could put bricks in the freezer, take them out and put the cold bricks in the cooler. Doesn’t work very well. You probably knew that.

·
Registered
459 Posts
16oz and 1litre bottles almost filled with water and frozen have never let me down. Bottles are getting recycled, water usually stays in the bottle freezer is going to be cold anyway soooooo.......cost is near zero. Leaves more money for fuel or tackle or......beer.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
10 Posts
Water mixed with salt freezes and melts at a lower temperature than pure water. Ice cools things by absorbing energy as it melts. Because salt water freezes / melts at a lower temperature it absorbs more energy as it melts, keeping your drinks colder longer.
Freshwater and Saltwater absorb energy based off their heat capacity, the amount of energy it takes to raise or lower the temperature 1 degree. Freshwater has a higher heat capacity than saltwater and therefore will absorb more energy than the same amount of saltwater before changing one degree.

Saltwater freezes at a lower temperature because the salt is getting in the way of the bonds and stopping ice from forming.

The latent heat of fusion is the amount of energy required for ice to undergo a phase change from solid to liquid. Freshwaters latent heat of fusion is also higher than salt water.

If you want your liquid in the ice chest to be colder then fill it with salt water, but salt water in a bottle will absorb less heat than a bottle with fresh water in it to change it one degree.

·
Registered
716 Posts
More technical than I could have ever put it, but yes. I agree, throw a handful of salt into a cooler of ice and watch everything in it freeze or turn slushy.

Ice Cream anyone?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Freshwater and Saltwater absorb energy based off their heat capacity, the amount of energy it takes to raise or lower the temperature 1 degree. Freshwater has a higher heat capacity than saltwater and therefore will absorb more energy than the same amount of saltwater before changing one degree.

Saltwater freezes at a lower temperature because the salt is getting in the way of the bonds and stopping ice from forming.

The latent heat of fusion is the amount of energy required for ice to undergo a phase change from solid to liquid. Freshwaters latent heat of fusion is also higher than salt water.

If you want your liquid in the ice chest to be colder then fill it with salt water, but salt water in a bottle will absorb less heat than a bottle with fresh water in it to change it one degree.
Right you are. Salt water’s latent heat of fusion is lower... thanks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts