Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been seeing a deer a day along the roads lately. A club near me regularly releases pheasants and there are always a couple dead on the shoulder when they do. Saw a male mallard dead yesterday. How many of you stop and get tying material from carcasses? What is your favorite carcass material, and do you have any tips for getting it off a three day dead whatever?

·
Wish'n I was Fish'n!
2,628 Posts
How many of you stop and get tying material from carcasses?
When I was trapping coyotes I used to stop and get the whole carcass of whatever road kill I passed by to use for bait. Just put the whole racoon, possum, rabbit, or squirrel in a garbage bag. Because they typically had guts smeared into the fur I don't think I would bring any part of them into my house.

·
Fly-By-Night
3,169 Posts
Fox, racoon, or squirrel tail can be easily removed with garden shears. Keep a Ziploc bag with some borax in the car to stick it in until you can get it home, that is unless you're wanting a divorce lol.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Lowhydro. My wife wouldn’t bother with the borax....she is, well never mind. Funny story, she had been a vegetarian for ten years when we met. Her first meat after that was roadkill. Not as bad as it sounds, a grouse banged off the windshield in Idaho and that became our dinner on the first night of a week long diy kayak trip down the middle fork of the Salmon River. She got me to kill another grouse on that trip, but that’s another story.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
For anyone given a game skin or wanting to salvage roadkill (or just not wanting to waste the natural materials from your hunting efforts...) here's the bible -and just as worth reading now as it was years and years ago...).
Fly-tying Materials by Eric Leiser (their procurement, use, and protection)

This book was published in 1973 and it has it all.... including dyeing every kind of material for fly tying or lure making. You might be able to find used copies on the 'net... it's one of the few books in my library I won't lend out (lost too many good books that way...).

Hope this helps

1 - 10 of 10 Posts