Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 13ft custom skiff with a 20hp 2 smoke yami on a bobs mini jack and saturday I bent the already abused allum 3 blade prop. I pulled the prop but it has no markings to determine the pitch and it appears to have been painted a few times. boat speed Top end is great but I need more hole shot and I'm thinking about a SS 4 blade.
Anyone have ideas on what brand, size and pitch to get?

·
> PRO STAFF <
7,523 Posts
Should be a part number inside on the hub wall.
With that you can find out the diameter and pitch.

And as always, use a tachometer to ensure you're using the right prop for your boat.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The 20 Yamaha is no longer produced in 2 stroke model. Here are the standard prop sizes that come on a new 25 hp (9 7/8 x 11 1/4 Alum) and the 15 hp (9 1/4 x 10 1/2 Alum). I would think one of these props would work.

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
That Does not seem like enough ...

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
I would go with a 12 pitch If you are near me I have a 13pitch you can test ...

·
I Love microskiff.com!
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Noettica, I have read other posts that suggest to down 1 pitch when going from a 3 to 4 blade. what is your experience with the 4 blade? with the cost of the ss I want to get it right as possible the first try.

·
> PRO STAFF <
7,523 Posts
With the cost of that 4-blade stainless, you could probably buy
three 3-blade aluminums. And if you live up to your forum-name ;)
You will damage that 4-blade just as fast as the 3 blade. At least
with three 3-blades aboard, couple of minutes with pliers and you're on the way home.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i ended up with a powertech 4 blade 9 pitch. from the first water trial i lost lots of speed but better hole shot. also the engine doesn't appear to be over reving at wot. do you prop experts think it could handle a 11 pitch to get some speed back?

·
GOT FEESH?
285 Posts
Need a tiny tach, they are only $40 to $45 www.tinytach.com money well spent in IMHO. Pretty hard to judge RPM's by ear to prop a boat correctly.

just my .02

1 - 13 of 13 Posts