Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my relative has a shallow sport in on a lift near me that he never uses. I want to offer him a couple grand cash upfront and a couple hundred a month to use it, while I leave it at his place on his lift and he uses it whenever he pleases. Do y’all think this is a good idea? I’m 16 years old with a job and have a couple grand saved up to put down. Please give me advice on the situation and tell me if it’s a good idea or not. Thanks !!

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Have you asked him if you can just use it? Offer to keep it clean and pay for maintaince. A boat will be better used than sit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you asked him if you can just use it? Offer to keep it clean and pay for maintaince. A boat will be better used than sit.
No sir I haven’t, I’ve thought about it but I forgot to add in there it would be an owner financing deal. I hate using people’s stuff and have been wanting a boat for a while and think this could be a good deal for me to own my own boat

·
I Love microskiff.com!
603 Posts
If you want my honest opinion, I think buying/financing/renting it is a bad idea for a multitude of reasons.

What happens if you give him the few grand as a down payment, it’s now “your boat” and the engine blows up a few weeks later? Or he decides he wants to sell it after you’ve started paying and wants you to buy it out right now. You might think I’m being overly cautious but all these have happened between good friends of mine that own boats jointly.

Even if everything works out perfectly, 16 isn’t the right time to own an expensive boat. Your priorities are going to change big time in the next couple years with college, moving, jobs, girls, etc. Not to mention you’ll be much better off financially 5-10 years down the road if you save your money rather than dumping it all into a boat.

I’d start by asking him if he will take you fishing. Tell him you had a great time and would love to go again soon. He may offer to let you take the boat out on your own. Keeping it cleaned and maintained would be a great deal for you.

If it’s not working out, just get a jon boat or gheenoe outright for $2-3k and be happy that you’ve got the time to use it for awhile.

·
Registered
677 Posts
If you want my honest opinion, I think buying/financing/renting it is a bad idea for a multitude of reasons.

What happens if you give him the few grand as a down payment, it’s now “your boat” and the engine blows up a few weeks later? Or he decides he wants to sell it after you’ve started paying and wants you to buy it out right now. You might think I’m being overly cautious but all these have happened between good friends of mine that own boats jointly.

Even if everything works out perfectly, 16 isn’t the right time to own an expensive boat. Your priorities are going to change big time in the next couple years with college, moving, jobs, girls, etc. Not to mention you’ll be much better off financially 5-10 years down the road if you save your money rather than dumping it all into a boat.

I’d start by asking him if he will take you fishing. Tell him you had a great time and would love to go again soon. He may offer to let you take the boat out on your own. Keeping it cleaned and maintained would be a great deal for you.

If it’s not working out, just get a jon boat or gheenoe outright for $2-3k and be happy that you’ve got the time to use it for awhile.
I know it isnt what you want to hear, but Gatorgrizz27 is spot on----these types of arrangements seldom work and usually end up in an absolute mess. The fact that it involves a relative is even more reason to moonwalk out of this idea asap---I cant tell you how many deals Ive seen like this between close friends or family that resulted in ruined relationships. Take the money you saved and buy a jon boat or build your own.

·
Soy un Perdedor
2,579 Posts
I don't know of any insurance company that would write a policy for a 16-year old?

A lot of people buy boats and leave no cash reserves for repairs. And trust me - there are always repairs and maintenance needed on a boat.

Like others have said, ask your relative that in exchange for using the boat a couple times a week, you will clean/detail/polish the boat, keep the fuel tank full and will do minor repairs when necessary. Maybe he is looking for a fishing partner too?

You will probably need to take a boater safety course if you haven't already.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
695 Posts
Based on the limited info we have, a SS in a sling that a 16yo kid can afford, the SS is a early 90s or earlier with a 115-150 HP 2stroke.

You may be able to afford the "note" but you'll never be able to afford the note, insurance, plus the bills to fuel, oil and maintain this rig. Don't believe me? My rig sips fuel and its at least a 40 dollar bill for me to fish on a weekend. That 40 includes fuel (truck and skiff), beer, food stuffs and a wash.

second (A)-How are you going to afford to chase pu$$y when all your money is tied up in fuel, honey buns and tackle? I've never gotten laid because I own a boat:( and its more than likely you wont either.
Sub Question- Am I dating the wrong women?

third- boats in slings almost always have a rusted out trailer. If they are not completely rusted out it probably will be by the time your relative asks you to get your boat out of his sling. Can you afford a used trailer that will support a shallow sport and let you trailer it down the highway safely?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Obviously this kid is psyched to go fishing! Maybe a local member on here could take him out a couple times and teach him the ropes, hell he might even turn out to be good on the poling platform. I never had trouble getting laid when I was a broke mfer

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,169 Posts
Also need to decide if poling and fly fishing is the intended direction or using the boat as a taxi to get to places to wade fish. Because a Shallowsport will not function as a poling skiff or a viable fly fishing boat. Pick up a used small Jon boat to start and find out which direction will be moving in the future before plowing a bunch of cash into a boat. Sage advice.

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
Take the money you have get the most reliable kicker motor ie under 25 hp and find a cheaper johnboat or gheenoe way less fuel consumption. That shallow sport probably isn't the most fuel efficient boat and unless you want to dump 40 plus bucks as someone already mentioned on here start small then work your way up. My first boat I got i was 16 14 ft aluminum v hull with a 9.5 Evinrude with a makeshift trailer but it got me on the water.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
483 Posts
second (A)-How are you going to afford to chase pu$$y when all your money is tied up in fuel, honey buns and tackle? I've never gotten laid because I own a boat:( and its more than likely you wont either.
Sub Question- Am I dating the wrong women?
More likely you just have the wrong kind of boat. Something big and fast or something with a cabin or an Air Nautique will get you laid. Skiffs, not so much.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thurm, I completely understand the want to have a bigger nicer boat but trust me it won’t help you catch more fish. Do you really want to feel like your relative is helping you out vs getting your own boat for a few grand. You will have more pride if do it on your own. Look around there are lots of options out there to get you on the water which is the important thing. You can pick up a Jon boat for nothing, get a good tiller motor, and customize it to your liking and not have to feel like you need a relatives approval for anything. My first rig was a ‘77 Whaler Montauk and I always wanted something nicer but now I still wished I had that thing. Look around there are deals to be had.

·
Registered
210 Posts
More likely you just have the wrong kind of boat. Something big and fast or something with a cabin or an Air Nautique will get you laid. Skiffs, not so much.
If you’re decent looking and got a little gift of gab for the female brain then you don’t need that stuff. Big fast sparkly boats are a man’s makeup. Goal is to get laid by the chicks that dig your manliness because you can fish (well), fix things, and can show them new experiences. You want to go fishing this evening works way better than hey you want to ride around and listen to music while I drive real fast or park on a sand bar.

·
Brandon, FL
10,407 Posts
I will give a different spin on your situation.

I have spare cars sitting in my driveway and when people come to town to visit they have all learned I will not loan them a car that is sitting idle. The only person that I will loan them to is my father. Even brother and sister have to rent a vehicle.

It is not because I am being a dick. I do not want to figure out how to collect the deductible money in the event of an accident nor do I want my rates to go up, but more importantly in the State of Florida a vehicle is considered a weapon and I am unwilling to share that risk to sour a relationship.

Buy your own boat.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Few grand up front and a few hundred a month? And he gets to use it too? Do as others said. Ask if you can borrow it from time to time. Then decide if you want to spend your money.
Better to start saving. Had a new car at 18 and a house at 21. Rented that out for awhile and sold. Moved on to the next. Find something cheap at your age and get your life in track. Not that it’s off. Get into a better boat when you are older and stable.
I could be wrong on my entire opinion. You could end up as the next popular paid tv host and fishing guide. Only you know where you are going.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
980 Posts
Few grand up front and a few hundred a month? And he gets to use it too? Do as others said. Ask if you can borrow it from time to time. Then decide if you want to spend your money.
Better to start saving. Had a new car at 18 and a house at 21. Rented that out for awhile and sold. Moved on to the next. Find something cheap at your age and get your life in track. Not that it’s off. Get into a better boat when you are older and stable.
I could be wrong on my entire opinion. You could end up as the next popular paid tv host and fishing guide. Only you know where you are going.
Personally, I would never take somebody else's boat out on the water!
It's potentially a disaster waiting to happen!
I've borrowed money for at least 8 boats, but it was from a bank, if something happened to the boat, it was on me, and my responsibility, o wouldn't borrow money from family, or especially friends!

·
Light, Strong, Cheap. Pick Two.
1,384 Posts
Keep your eye out for a good deal on something you can buy for $5K. Use it for a few years, keep it clean and then sell it when your ready to upgrade. Boats in this price range are pretty liquid on craigslist. When I was your age, I found an old McKee Craft (Whaler knock off) for $500, restored it and spent $3500 on a new motor. Used it until my early 20's then sold it for about what I had in it.

****Important life lesson here. Advice from a random stranger on the internet, but its universal and very important. When you enter into a deal/partnership with someone, the exit strategy is just as important as the entrance strategy. Spend an equal amount of time thinking about what happens when one of you wants out of the deal and the cash has been spent.

·
Registered
724 Posts

Quote of the day & damn Good advice young man!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts