I know some of you guys Surf!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by AfterHours2, Aug 26, 2011.

1. AfterHours2

AfterHours2 Stripper in my own Mind!

The east coast is certainly going off right now at the right break. Going over for the weekend after work for some action. Feel like a kid waiting on santa for xmas... Get it while you can.

2. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

I'll b here all weekend!!

3. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Very sloppy out there this morning. Irregular pattern, nasty cross chop.
    Looked like a washing machine with all the foam and slop.

:eek:

4. skinny_water

skinny_water Well-Known Member

Ya gotta go out more then knee deep, lol

5. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Wasn't even gonna try!  :eek:
    When it comes to wave riding, I'm an expert! ( at falling off ) ;D

http://www.swellinfo.com/surfreport/daytona-beach-florida-cam.html

6. cutrunner

7 this morning i looked at the cam for stuart and it looked decent. The 30mph west wind makes it feather nice and the lines are long, but but the wave intervals are still to close and i dont know if our sandbar can handle waves this size since its been a while.. I'll find out from my friends that went today and when i go tomorrow

7. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

Wonder how the inlet has faired with the pounding...

8. cutrunner

Lol yea especially since its about 3 feet deep in one spot..

9. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

I'm not into surfing, never saw the point living in Florida, but I've always been told by friends who loved it to never go surfing when a hurricane approaches as it gets dangerous and unpradictable.

10. cutrunner

Casualties happen in the battlefield... Ide much rather go out surfing the in a bogus car accident or something. Just sayin..

11. firecat1981

Not me, drowning and burning to death are two of the worst ways to die. That being said, gee I'm so glad I'm a firefighter now, lol.

12. AfterHours2

I thought this thread was about how good the waves were going to be over the weekend? Whats all this " Im afraid of drowning stuff " ::). Please do not derail my thread because of your lack of waterman skills. Thx

Back to topic: Saturday morning was one of the best sessions I have had in several years. Hard to get waves like that without having to travel. Hope some of you guys got to enjoy it also. I know I did. :cool:

13. firecat1981

Sorry for the minor derail, but it was relevent, and waterman skills are not an issue as I used to be a certified lifeguard and am trained in water rescue.

Outside of hurricanes and storms, where do you go in florida to get decent waves? I mean really surfable waves like 6ft and up?

14. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

There's a bar in about 8 feet of water, about halfway from Fowey Rocks to the entrance to Biscayne Channel.
    Sand bottom, crystal clear water, beautiful break with a southeast swell.
    Only way there is by boat. Longest ride I ever made, mainly because I was too scared to fall off.
    Seeing a 10 foot bull shark passing under you as you pop up will do that.

:eek:   ;D

15. AfterHours2

Growing up on and near the east coast, I have never found an issue with being able to find waves. 6ft. consistent, cmon... You will never see waves like that anywhere you go. I have traveled to central and south america many times to find a swell one day and gone the next. Many of todays top surfers on the circuit come from Floridas east coast. Last time I checked, multiple world champion Kelly Slater grew up in brevard county but I guess his credentials are not good enough to conclude that Florida is capable of producing enough waves... Or all the surf shops scattered along the eastern coast of Florida...

16. firecat1981

I grew up on the eastcoast, spent lots of time at the beach in the tri-county area (mostly from boynton beach down to south beach). I had friends who bought surfboards and then sold them soon after cause there wasn't much wave action down there. We boogy boarded a bunch but you don't need very big waves for that. I don't recal many surf shops around there, ron jon's opened at sawgrass but much later and it's more of a clothing store.
    I know they surf alot near new smurna and cocoa beach, maybe the wave action is better further north? I know there are alot of guys who get into surfing, but I also know alot of them leave florida in favor of the pacific.

17. beavis

beavis Well-Known Member

Wooohooo

Smyrna is going off. Looks like we'll have waves for the next 2 weeks between the 2 storms.

18. swaddict

swaddict Thread Killer

;D, bethune was fun last storm

19. cutrunner

20. AfterHours2

Had the paddleout for the gentleman that drowned last week near cooper st. in New smyrna. Awesome turnout with over 600 people. Never met the guy personally but I have spent my whole life surfing the same area. Blessings to his family.....
    PS: Waves have been more than friendly to the east coast in the last few days....