Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my HB professional tunnel with the 60R propped with the Mercury spitfire xp 14p (its not the correct prop IMHO) this past weekend. I ran it for about 3 hours (its cold here in Texas). I know a lot of people were wondering about the performance, What questions do you have? Hopefully be able to answer some of them. Jacked up on 6 water pressure was a solid 18-20 psi. I just need to learn how to drive it, we we running in about 6" soft mud bottom in a back pond and needed to turn around, started turning and rear end got light and lost momentum. She still floated.

·
Registered
Just livin’ my life easy come easy go...
800 Posts
Your prop blew out on the turn. Go see Tran Sport for a cav plate and Jack Foreman for a prop.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Who took that picture?
I did. LOL Left the push pole at the house.( amateur move)
On another note, the skiff did well in extremely shallow water. Made it a few hundred yards across a shallow firm mud flat. I don't know how deep it was but 4" would be my best guess, because I didn't stop. LOL Video is on my Facebook page.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got my HB professional tunnel with the 60R propped with the Mercury spitfire xp 14p (its not the correct prop IMHO) this past weekend. I ran it for about 3 hours (its cold here in Texas). I know a lot of people were wondering about the performance, What questions do you have? Hopefully be able to answer some of them. Jacked up on 6 water pressure was a solid 18-20 psi. I just need to learn how to drive it, we we running in about 6" soft mud bottom in a back pond and needed to turn around, started turning and rear end got light and lost momentum. She still floated.
View attachment 162260
Get a Jack Foreman prop (3blade and water scoops) then call Transnoats and get there cavitation plate. You’ll probably be able to lift your motor up too the bottom holes. I did those modifications on my maverick tunnel and it made a huge improvement. Great looking boat even muddy.

·
Forgotten Coaster
2,549 Posts
Congrats on the new engine. I thought about one but went in another direction. Will still be waiting several months but my current Merc is running fine.

The top end will increase once it's fully broke in. I'm turning 6000 at WOT with EFI 60 and 4-blade Trophy Sport prop.

Which model of Bob's jack plate do you have? Standard 4" Ultra Light?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Congrats on the new engine. I thought about one but went in another direction. Will still be waiting several months but my current Merc is running fine.

The top end will increase once it's fully broke in. I'm turning 6000 at WOT with EFI 60 and 4-blade Trophy Sport prop.

Which model of Bob's jack plate do you have? Standard 4" Ultra Light?
I believe its the ultra light 4"

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,322 Posts
Rob, that motor has a pretty big gear case ratio similar to the Suzuki. You can swing a pretty big prop. For example, the prop on my Zuke is big enough that I had to grind the steering anti-torque tab off to clear the prop blades. Cup added will help give the prop some bite when running at high jack settings, especially in a tunnel where the water is a little more turbulent then water coming off the back of a non-tunnel boat. The bigger blades will give better hole shot and also help stay hooked up when running at high jack settings. I'm running at full jack up on my X all the time except when motoring around the boat dock. I'm getting really good shallow water performance with my Foreman prop (12.5"D - 14p 3 blade) so your tunnel Pro should really be able to do silly shallow once dialed in.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts