I could use some help on fixing/correcting a problem!

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by evanslmtd, Feb 14, 2010.

1. evanslmtd

evanslmtd Well-Known Member

Hey Guys
    I’d like some help on fixing/correcting a problem I've got. I got around to changing the registration on my Classic from FL to TX, which means I've got to change the registration numbers.
    So….my problem is how to remove/reduce the shadow that was left by the old numbers.
    The previous owner had used a product that was supposed to repair/reduce the UV fading/damage that the Gel coat had suffered from exposure over the years which worked for a week or two, then went back to looking as faded as before.
    Any tips/tricks would be appreciated.
    Below is a photo of the severe shadow left by the old numbers. As y'all can see, after the light colored numbers are removed, there's a strong shadow left on/in the Gel coat.
    Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]

2. topnative2

topnative2 Well-Known Member

so much fun....try buffing out out the hull and then see how bad it is---the problem is the hull is not faded out underneath the old #'s ---obviously u can not fade out the hull behind the numbers---buy block numbers that are on the white reflective backround like in HD and put the whole thing on

if ur OCD---buff the hull take to a paint shop that has the "gun" and get the formula to match some paint and brush/spray over the spot$$$$$$$$$$$

I feel for you!
    k

3. mark_gardner

mark_gardner I Love microskiff.com!

looks like some serious fading :eek: i see a paint job in your future :cool:

4. evanslmtd

Hey Guys
    Here’s an update on the post I made named “Anybody got an idea on how to correct this?”
    I bit the bullet and decided to try rubbing compound to remove the shadow left by the old FL numbers. Besides, the whole boat was pretty well oxidized and I hoped that I could bring the Gel Coat back to life. Anyway, after compounding out the numbers I was pleasantly surprised to see that most of the shadow was gone. I compounded out the number area three times before most all of the shadow was gone. Then I compounded out the rest of the hull to bring back some life to the oxidized Gel Coat. Viola! The boat came out looking almost as good as it did when it was new.

Before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

5. mark_gardner

mark_gardner I Love microskiff.com!

WOW!! i am suprised it came out as good as it did :eek: looks great, congrats :cool:

6. Taterides

Taterides Well-Known Member

That turned out great!!

7. FSUfisher

FSUfisher Well-Known Member

Seriously, I would have never expected that drastic of an improvement! What brand did you use? Is it the Penetrol in the pic?

8. evanslmtd

Hey Guys
    Thanks for the kind words about the results. It sure surprised me. I would have never thought the Gel Coat would have come back that glossy.
    We finally got a break in the weather so I was able to get  some wax on the boat. Man, it really looks good now.
    FSU
    The rubbing compound I used was Turtle Wax Premium. Yes that's the Penetrol in the photo. The cleaner/wax I use was Collinite's #920 Fiberglass Boat Cleaner then Collinite's #925 Fiberglass Boat Wax. The shine is amazing!
    All things considered, I'm very happy with the way the detailing came out. IMO, the exterior of the hull looks as good or better than it did when new.

9. FSUfisher

FSUfisher Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. It turned out great!