I asked myself

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Capnredfish, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Capnredfish

Capnredfish Well-Known Member

What would make this site better instead of a giant list of moved topics? Change it a little in a way users , well use it. Make the first selection Off topic since people like to click on the first one labeled General disscusion. Then the second one should be called Micro skiffs instead of general disscusion. Just a thought.

2. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

http://www.microskiff.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1310564141
    07/13/11 at 9:35am

this is microskiff.com not offtopic.com

3. GTSRGTSR

GTSRGTSR Well-Known Member

Gonna grab a front row seat for this!!!!

4. topnative2

topnative2 Well-Known Member

Better check the home page topics/articles [smiley=1-whoops1.gif] [smiley=cheers.gif]

5. iMacattack

Not sure why this is a big deal. Topics were moved, not deleted, to the correct sections. ::)

6. Capnredfish

I enjoy the site , but keep dreaming. There is more to talk about than micro skiffs. All i suggest is you move the off topic closer to the top and peolple may be more inclined to click there instead of general disscussion. Little change might do wonders.

7. GTSRGTSR

GTSRGTSR Well-Known Member

There are many ways to do any task, like organize and moderate a forum. They guy that runs it gets to make those decisions.

That said, those that dont change, fade to black in time.

My humble opinion is this:

While Jan was gone for 4 or so months, the site ran on autopilot and did pretty well. People posted, people helped each other, pretty much no fighting or bad behavior.

What Jan has in vision for the site, he lacks in style to carry it off. He comes across heavy handed and autocratic.

Again, its Jan's baby and he can do with it what he wants. I appreciate Microskiff and its members.

8. anytide

anytide Administrator Staff Member

we should try to post in correct section, if a topic / any topic is recieving steady replies and traffic - let it run until it starts to fade, then move it on...

:)

9. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

Thanks for your support lol :p

You should know that i am on EVERY day, at least for a few minutes.
    i may miss a few things but i try to stay on top of it for the most part especially considering all the new member acceptance/denials i have to do a day...

10. iMacattack

Please help me understand how a post about fly reels belongs in the boating section? Wrong topics in wrong sections cause the boating related topics to fall off the page in liue of fly reels, cold fronts etc.

To GTSR's point. What none of you see are the emails I get from members complaining about exactly what I described above. I was out of pocket for several months. In that down time my email would find one or two complaints a week or so asking to fix/change something. The clean up I did was a direct result of multiple complaints. Also it only extended to the first two pages of the general section and look at the mess.

Secondly it's not like we have not asked folks to follow the topic sections. If you look at the sixth "sticky" post from the top... "General Section" which I posted 3 years ago. http://www.microskiff.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1310564141

I have plenty of tact what I lack is compassion for those who don't feel they are compelled to follow the same rules the rest of us. To say that it's heavy handed is baseless. It's sad when the problem is ignored and we blame those who are trying to make things right.

I don't run this site. I'm here trying to help the owners and concerned members keep the place clean. I'll happily leave. I am too busy traveling to Europe for business, trying to spend dwindling time with my son and wife, then where time is available actually getting out on the water to do a little fishing. Cleaning up the mess here is most certainly not the highlight of my day.

Jan

11. iMacattack

cut runner. you are doing an awesome job and none of this is a reflection of the dedicated hard work you do. Thank you for all your help!

Cheers
    Jan

12. Capnredfish

In my opinion it is easy to understand. Your general discussion has nearly 89000 post. And so many are unrelated to micro skiffs.. So it seems users like to select something called general discussion or something rig at the top of the page. Just make a Micro skiff labeled discussion first and the general right below it. I will continue to visit the site regardless of how it is arranged or labeled. The way people use these sites is right infront of us at the top of the forum home page. Lettle change should make everyone happey :)

13. fishicaltherapist

fishicaltherapist I Love microskiff.com!

Not many folks WANT to do what it takes to run this forum and IMHO, would NOT do it for very long, IF they had the OPPORTUNITY! THANKS to ALL who help make this a GREAT forum. Let's go fish! :)

14. Capnredfish

Forgive my typing errors. Ipad is no longer working well after last update.

15. noeettica

noeettica Well-Known Member

Keep up the good work ! At least you have a sense of humor ...

[​IMG]