Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Hydraulic steering or not?

9346 52
So I am debating on getting hydraulic steering on my new 16ft Skimmer Skiff with 50hp Tohatsu. It will cost an additional 745$ with tilt steering. Not sure if it is worth it. I really like the idea of the tilt steering helm. What is everyone's opinion?

Thanks
Chris
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe 10-15# and once it’s installed there’s basically zero maintenance. The pump is at the helm and the cylinder is on the motor.
If you run jacked up with a cupped prop and no compression plate with just NFB (no feedback) steering you will be fighting prop torque steer with two hands.
No tunnel, no JP, single or no cupped prop and you will be fine with NFB steering but man that one finger power steering sure is nice.
No tunnel but I will be running a jack plate with a cupped prop. I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and drop the extra coin. Rather go ahead and get it now than wish I did later. Plus like I said I really like the idea of the tilt steering. Thanks

· Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I know 2 people that have switched from cable to hydraulic steering (60hp and 70hp on Key West 1520 side consoles). Both of them say it's some of the best money they've spent on their boats.

Never used the tilt option, but I can't imagine it's worth the extra money. I feel like I would use it to adjust it where I wanted, and probably never touch it again. That being said, I've never used one so that's just a guess.
I figured the tilt would be beneficial when going from sitting to standing.

· Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I dont want to be a jerk, but what you want a cookie? hipshot. That was such a long rant I didnt even understand what you were getting at
Kinda sounded like you were being a "jerk"! I understood his point very clearly. Maybe next time you should just move on to another post instead of criticizing someone else's post just because you don't understand stand it or you think it's too long.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.