Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am debating on getting hydraulic steering on my new 16ft Skimmer Skiff with 50hp Tohatsu. It will cost an additional 745$ with tilt steering. Not sure if it is worth it. I really like the idea of the tilt steering helm. What is everyone's opinion?

Thanks
Chris

·
Banned
12,342 Posts
What is the added weight and which is easier to maintain?
Maybe 10-15# and once it’s installed there’s basically zero maintenance. The pump is at the helm and the cylinder is on the motor.
If you run jacked up with a cupped prop and no compression plate with just NFB (no feedback) steering you will be fighting prop torque steer with two hands.
No tunnel, no JP, single or no cupped prop and you will be fine with NFB steering but man that one finger power steering sure is nice.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe 10-15# and once it’s installed there’s basically zero maintenance. The pump is at the helm and the cylinder is on the motor.
If you run jacked up with a cupped prop and no compression plate with just NFB (no feedback) steering you will be fighting prop torque steer with two hands.
No tunnel, no JP, single or no cupped prop and you will be fine with NFB steering but man that one finger power steering sure is nice.
No tunnel but I will be running a jack plate with a cupped prop. I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and drop the extra coin. Rather go ahead and get it now than wish I did later. Plus like I said I really like the idea of the tilt steering. Thanks

·
Banned
12,342 Posts
No tunnel but I will be running a jack plate with a cupped prop. I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and drop the extra coin. Rather go ahead and get it now than wish I did later. Plus like I said I really like the idea of the tilt steering. Thanks
You’ll be glad you did.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,169 Posts
The way I look at it is "Buy Once Cry Once". Then it is properly set up and just go fishing without having to go back and re-do it. What I have experienced is if I try to cheap out I always end up spending more to fix it than it would have to just do it right to start with.

Then again there are the times that big bucks are spent "thinking it is done right" and then have to go do it again anyway. THAT is a real pisser. Another story though.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I want hydro steering too. Cable steering is like steering on a 67 beetle. However I don’t have the issue of needing two hands while jacked up, and a cupped prop, it’s just sloppy. And I can get through deck fittings for hoses vs cable through a leaky boot. One day I may step up.

·
Banned
1,441 Posts
Hydraulic on bay boat 200 etec .Cable on flats boat. F50. No issues. 150 etec on shrimp boat , cable ,not so much Good luck

·
Panhandler
2,716 Posts
Do it now while it's easier to install. You'll want it eventually anyway.

Had cable steering originally with my Mercury 60. Wasn't too bad at first but became messy with the grease and started getting sticky to steer. Engine is mounted on an Atlas jack plate with four-blade Mercury prop.

Bought a U-Flex system as replacement (no tilt available for my side console application) but had to fabricate a couple adaptor rings to compensate for the larger console mounting hole. Came together finally and the mount is rock solid. Have found the higher base unit negates the need for tilt as I can stand and easily steer when needed. It was a pricey upgrade and fair amount of man hours, but I definitely don't regret it.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I personally only think you need it if your running a big motor over 100hp

I ran my f70 with the jackplate way up on the 17t with mechanical steering and it could almost drive itself. Well thats after I replaced the old mechanical steering that was in there which I had to keep my arm cranked the entire time to keep it from turning on me. I think the little trim tab on the lower unit helps quite a bit with it also.

Ive also had hydraulic steering boats that dont track straight worth a crap. Constant back and forth correcting. But I think that has more to do with idling and hull design.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I went from a skiff with hydraulic tilt to a skiff with NFS and no tilt. I could live without the tilt, but the first change I made was to get rid of the cable and go hydraulic. There's no comparison.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts