Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Hydraulic Steering Cylinder

1316 9
Has anyone here had success polishing/smoothing out their steering cylinder shaft?
Is there a place to purchase this replacement part or have one refurbished.

I have a used baystar unit I am going to install but need to smooth out the shaft some so it does not cause any seals to leak.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Has anyone here had success polishing/smoothing out their steering cylinder shaft?
Is there a place to purchase this replacement part or have one refurbished.

I have a used baystar unit I am going to install but need to smooth out the shaft some so it does not cause any seals to leak.
I recently added a baystar system to my 2007 Yamaha 70TLR and used a dremel with a flex shaft and a sanding head. Worked great.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Following as I’ve tried to with no luck. On boats at work and home, I’ve always ended up replacing the assembly.

·
Registered
382 Posts
BoatSteer is the only authorized repair facility. All other parts that would be needed to complete something like this are not available to the public or even regular service centers. They are in Venice.

http://www.boatsteer.com/

I will warn you that what you are trying to do is not likely cost effective unless they have some used parts they are willing to sell you.

·
Registered
Maverick HPXS
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I reached out to boat steer and while you cannot buy replacement parts they do have a trade in program where you send yours in and they send back a refurbished one at what I think is a fair price.
Will be going that direction.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Do they have a core return? I’d send them one just to have a credit!

Reactions: Smackdaddy53
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.