Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy from Houston. I recently purchased a used 20' Stiffy Hybrid push pole. It needs to be refinished as the fiberglass hairs are just beginning to come off. I hit it with some 0000 steel wool and then wiped it down with acetone. Many folks in other forums have recommended appliance paint (spray can). I don't have much money to buy premium epoxy paint and even if I did I don't have spray equipment. Does anyone have first hand experience refinishing your pole with appliance spray paint? If so did you hang the pole or lay it down to spray it? Thanks everyone.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
11,979 Posts
Howdy from Houston. I recently purchased a used 20' Stiffy Hybrid push pole. It needs to be refinished as the fiberglass hairs are just beginning to come off. I hit it with some 0000 steel wool and then wiped it down with acetone. Many folks in other forums have recommended appliance paint (spray can). I don't have much money to buy premium epoxy paint and even if I did I don't have spray equipment. Does anyone have first hand experience refinishing your pole with appliance spray paint? If so did you hang the pole or lay it down to spray it? Thanks everyone.
I’d call Kevin at Fibertex, he makes Stiffy poles.

·
Bait Hater
572 Posts
I refinished mine with rustoleum appliance spray paint a year ago and it has been fine. I hung my pole while spraying it. I believe i did 3 coats. Some paint flakes will come off initially when using it, but after that initial shed, it is fine and has held up and looks good.

·
Light, Strong, Cheap. Pick Two.
1,385 Posts

I have done this twice on mine. I would recommend something a little more abrasive like 220 grit. the first time I did not sand and most of it flaked off. The second time with 220 and acetone. It has lasted 2 years and still may have one more left. a little will flake off at first, but I am satisfied with the Rustoleum appliance paint. Something like awlgrip would be the best, but it is more expensive

1 - 4 of 4 Posts