Hvlp help?

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by tightloops1900, Jul 28, 2012.

1. tightloops1900

tightloops1900 I Love microskiff.com!

How would something like this spray 2part paint?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003PGQI48/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?ei=s0cUUO72ApCe8QSqtoD4Dw&sa=X&ved=0CHsQgwgwCDgU

2. AfterHours2

AfterHours2 Stripper in my own Mind!

I would personally steer away from any Wagner products. There ok for the average weekend warrior but you probably will not get the best overall finish. Just get a gravity feed gun and use air compressor. Make sure you have a good water separator on the gun inlet and you will have good results. Just to give you an idea, I payed over $1500 for my first graco hvlp system for custom jobs and it was ok at best..

3. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

If you are looking for an altenative way to paint you boat a machine like that will work but you will have to put some time in practicing.

I have used a similar product and in my opinion I achieved better results than a brush.

I would like to have a compressor to use but I just can't justify it because spending 500-1000 on a compressor to use once is a very expensive tire pump.

4. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

I know im going to get bashed for this, but ive seen very good results from the harbor freight guns.
    If you catch them at the right time on sale they go for $9.99.
    And a 30gallon $300 compressor will work fine.
    Use good oil/water filters, play with the gun and get it dialed in and practice first.
    Good prep work is a BIG part of the final result.
    Good luck, and dont be afraid to ask questions

5. AfterHours2

AfterHours2 Stripper in my own Mind!

Your 100% right Cut about the cheapos. Most people will never use the gun again or anytime soon and do not know how to clean properly. The majority of your professional painters use Binks or equivalent but if your only using for personal use then the cheap ones will work fine given the proper filters are used.

6. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

This is an all in one machine - lots of CFM and under 3 psi. There are no filters, oil seperators, etc. No compressor. Plug in and paint.

Buy the thing, use it then throw it away if you can't get it clean, or don't want to exert the effort to clean it.