Hurricane ravaged towns...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by flyfisheraa573, May 11, 2010.

1. flyfisheraa573

flyfisheraa573 Well-Known Member

Was thinking last night about hurricane ravaged towns, mostly because of the current onslaught of this oil slick and how its going to affect businesses (don't ask how I made that connection...just did, okay? :D )

but my questions is this...I'm sure I am missing some, so no offense, and please feel free to add if you want.

But towns like Homestead back in the 80's...those towns in Florida from the back to back hurricanes, the towns in Alabama, Mississippi & Louisiana from Katrina, the towns along the Texas coast from Ike....

These little towns, and sometimes not so little that are completely wiped out by these hurricanes...do they ever make it back to where they were...or do they just stay vacant and deserted? I'm talking the fisheries and the towns...(that's why I posted here and not in Off-topic) for example, Flip has stated that he got out of the guiding business after the Hurricane that hit Homestead.

I know it sounds stupid...but you hear so much right after, and then a few years later...nothing, no update or anything...anyone from those areas that want to sound off?

Thanks!

2. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

[movedhere] General Discussion [move by] iMacattack.

3. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Population growth in South Florida means rebuilding takes place.
    In fact, that's the reason I moved from South Dade and now live in Palm Coast.
    Too many people living in a limited area.
    I got tired of the traffic and the waiting lines.

http://www.justnews.com/weather/13964939/detail.html

http://blogs.wsj.com/developments/2008/09/23/homestead-fla-rebuilt-and-redefined-after-hurricane-andrew/tab/article/

4. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

The only way an area will grow is if there is an economic benefit. Homestead had easy access to a lot of economic benefit - Miami. Jobs equal money.

New Orleans is still desolate and will probably never return to what it was. If it does it will take generations. The neighborhoods that were bull-dozed are still in piles waiting to be picked up or burned. The business man has moved and now has settled down and is not interested in moving back. The money ($14 Billion) has been stolen by the theives that run the town and they have since left as well leaving the coffers empty and the economic benefit of rebuilding has been pilfered.

Mobile, AL has bounced back very well and is once again thriving. Still a little way to go to get back to where it was but within the next few years it should be equal.

The fishing that was thought to be destroyed is alive and well and maybe the best it has ever been.

To answer your question - yes and no.

5. flyfisheraa573

yeah...i've spent some time in NOLA in the past few years...vacationing and what not....I really like the town...and I feel for where it is, and how far it's come, you can thank the people, the citizens...definitely not the government for that...

What about places like Bay St. Louis, and that town in Florida, was it Ponte Verde? Anyone....

6. costefishnt

costefishnt Cost Efish'nt³

was in southern Mississippi days after Katrina. Walked amoung the many dead bodies from Waveland, Pass Chrstian, Bay st. Louis, al the way to gulfport.

Ove all of these p[laces Pass Christian lost 98% of everything. was an eerie sight to see.

Today all towns are rebuilding and some are doing faily well. Pass Christian has lost so many of its citizens, but it to is on the rebound.

When I hae some time I will dig up some pictures from my time there working with FDLE and Homeland Security. Sad to say the least.

I still have bad dreams about the two kids we found, as well as the countless adults.

7. flyfisheraa573

my Dad went down to Bay St. Louis to do some work...volunteer stuff through the church...twice I think.

I was reading an article the other day talking about one of the things that hurts towns are real estate pricing. For example, a lot of folks abandoned their properties, so banks took them over and set them up through real estate companies...the prices for land, etc. is what they were before the storm (high)...so folks can't afford, or don't want to afford to buy the land, when there is no infrastructure to support the area, at crazy prices.

IMHO, one of the best things that can happen to get people back to an area is to offer the land and properties at discounted or attractive pricing to lure people back or there in the first place...

oh well, I guess one has to turn a buck in some way.

Cost....I'd like to see some of those pictures...of the destruction (not the bodies...not sure I could take that...don't see how you did, but I tip my hat to you for doing what you did)