Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 13' Beavertail Ambush for quick/casual morning and evening fishing. One of my requirements for this boat was no trailer - I wanted to be able to load and unload without dragging it around all the time.

The only issue is that the vehicle it's going in is a big high roof transit van, around 9' tall. Even a super light kayak would be a challenge to get on top of a roof like that.

One thought was an electric winch and bow roller mounted permanently to the vehicle. The boat has fold down wheels, so you could theoretically hook up to the bow eye and winch/roll it to the rack.

I imagine this will put a decent amount of stress on the hull, but does anyone know if it is enough to cause actual damage? The boat is fiberglass and seems impressively well laid up, there is zero flex anywhere.

Open to other suggestions as well... unless it is get a trailer, which is plan C or D!

AA

·
I Love microskiff.com!
378 Posts
I think you’d need some sort of ramp, otherwise the point loads would be insanely high with friction and leverage added together.
JC

·
Registered
'04 HB Devilray Merc 25 HP
1,045 Posts
Ramp or slides. HB has the same warning about dry launching. You don't want to point load the hull on the roller.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all. I will look into a ramp that extends from the roof - would be great to just have sliders come out to form a ramp up to the rack.

The boat is about 100lbs completely empty. Would be fine with two guys on a shorter vehicle, but less fun when it looks like this (not my van, but an example)

·
Registered
Just livin’ my life easy come easy go...
849 Posts
You need a 6” lift and 35’s on that thing.

Reactions: flyclimber

·
Brandon, FL
10,940 Posts
Sprinter has a rack system that comes down on the side and you load things like ladders on it and then it powers back up on to of the van.

Maybe there is one for your

1 - 12 of 12 Posts