Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Ironically, I was wondering that very same question recently. I'm going to be in the market for a skiff in the coming months and recently saw a really sharp East Cape Lostmen with an orange hull, it did look really sharp.

·
Registered
336 Posts
It does matter. Guides have discussed this for years and compared notes. It seems lighter off white colors such as ice blue, Light gray and Sea foam seam to disappear looking up. Some years ago I did some self research and filmed under water looking up at hulls and found these three colors especially the light gray and ice blue just disappear. I do believe it makes a difference. Also very dark colors seem to repel fish like the plague.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It does matter. Guides have discussed this for years and compared notes. It seems lighter off white colors such as ice blue, Light gray and Sea foam....
Even shirt color makes a difference in certain situations. Those coral-colored cocktail shirts and fish jerseys can push fish off a bar fast in clear water.
Thanks for the feedback. My thoughts were, if the color of baits make a difference, then surely hull and rigging color would also. Finsleft258, I never considered the color of my clothing but you make a great point!

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
I think being quiet is the biggest key to skinny water. Shadows as well , especially where structure is scarce Years ago ,off shore folks up here were putting silhouettes of fish on their boat hulls underwater, supposed to look like a school of fish from below. If you can see them,they can see you good fishing!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. My thoughts were, if the color of baits make a difference, then surely hull and rigging color would also. Finsleft258, I never considered the color of my clothing but you make a great point!
I got extremely anal when doing my last Hells bay hull. I got in the
I think being quiet is the biggest key to skinny water. Shadows as well , especially where structure is scarce Years ago ,off shore folks up here were putting silhouettes of fish on their boat hulls underwater, supposed to look like a school of fish from below. If you can see them,they can see you good fishing!
So true. A quiet hull is the best weapon

·
Brandon, FL
10,094 Posts
I've had fish bite way out on a long cast. I have had fish bite right at the boat. Musky fishermen have the most bites at boat side.

When a fish is in 2' of water and looks up it either sees the sky or a big azz shadow sitting on the surface.

To me color is not even a thought, except for banana yellow.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
541 Posts
People That think that matters are just making excuses why they didn’t catch that fish lol
Shadows and movement will scare fish
I watch these guy go to make a cast to a fish and squat down so their profile is lower but I think that movement is more likely to shake the boat and spook the fish than if they just tried to stay as still as possible to not shake the boat
( though that squat gives “cool” points) haha
If I can see my shadow and it’s going to go over the fish than yes that will spook it but that’s usually only late or early In the day
My opinion..obviously to each their own

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,462 Posts
It does matter. Guides have discussed this for years and compared notes. It seems lighter off white colors such as ice blue, Light gray and Sea foam seam to disappear looking up. Some years ago I did some self research and filmed under water looking up at hulls and found these three colors especially the light gray and ice blue just disappear. I do believe it makes a difference. Also very dark colors seem to repel fish like the plague.
The hull on my skiff is black, and I seem to do ok. As a few others have commented, I think being stealthy and not creating noise or displacing water is most important. Fish sense sound underwater via two sensory organs, otoliths in the inner ears and the lateral line, which runs along each side of a fish’s body from the gills to the caudal peduncle (just forward of the tail). Generally speaking, fish use their inner ears to sense sounds at a distance while the lateral line senses vibrations that are much closer. So in my view, a well-designed skiff is way more important than the color of the hull.

·
Registered
377 Posts
What DB said above........tried to quote but.......

In my world all of this matters way more than hull color, don't over think it. If it freaks you out that bad, just get outta the boat and wade.....

Reactions: DBStoots

·
Brandon, FL
10,094 Posts
What DB said above........tried to quote but.......

In my world all of this matters way more than hull color, don't over think it. If it freaks you out that bad, just get outta the boat and wade.....
But...my brown waders might spook the fish. Oh crap, I have blue wading boots too. :)

·
Registered
336 Posts
The hull on my skiff is black, and I seem to do ok. As a few others have commented, I think being stealthy and not creating noise or displacing water is most important. Fish sense sound underwater via two sensory organs, otoliths in the inner ears and the lateral line, which runs along each side of a fish’s body from the gills to the caudal peduncle (just forward of the tail). Generally speaking, fish use their inner ears to sense sounds at a distance while the lateral line senses vibrations that are much closer. So in my view, a well-designed skiff is way more important than the color of the hull.
Oh I fully agree but in tight situations I have seen it make a big difference.

·
Registered
377 Posts
But...my brown waders might spook the fish. Oh crap, I have blue wading boots too. :)
Damn, I thought real men just went comando..... waders??? Seriously.

After reading my post it may have come across a little harsh, my bad. No doubt we all have our opinions on what matters and what doesn't. I do think sometimes we get a little too caught up in the marketing machine and loose focus on the things that do matter.

·
Brandon, FL
10,094 Posts
Damn, I thought real men just went comando..... waders??? Seriously.

After reading my post it may have come across a little harsh, my bad. No doubt we all have our opinions on what matters and what doesn't. I do think sometimes we get a little too caught up in the marketing machine and loose focus on the things that do matter.
No dude, all good. Having some fun.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts