Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does hull color impact fish behaviour in any way? Next month I’m ordering the L4Expedition and can do Sky Blue, Seafoam or custom.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,254 Posts
Go with whatever is most visible to other vessels IMHO...when I'm paddling I want people to be able to see me...and when I'm boating I want to be able to see paddlers...

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,429 Posts
If it were me, I'd be choosing colors that resemble the water color, especially if I am sight fishing from it. I don't want the fish to see me, nor other people. But that is considering you are not out in some rough heavy seas where you want people to see you. But if it's for inshore stuff, then go stealth. It makes a difference.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,254 Posts
I don't want the fish to see me, nor other people.
The fish are going to feel you before they're going to see you.

And you definitely want boats to see you in the upper bay...else some jack off in a tunnel skiff may run close to you while skating through the skinny stuff. ;)

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
my silver king is white bottom with red above the waterline. doesn't seem to spook more fish than my yellow boat.

·
Premium Member
1,674 Posts
Regardless of the color you want someone like Lemay or Backwater doing the hard work of putting you in the right position to make the cast which makes the difference. I was always a lone fishermen and even when I thought I new what I was doing I still missed a lot of shots as the fish played their game not mine. Your boat color should be what you like because even in the skinny you have to be in the proper position to make a shot. The fish at 50+ aren't aware of your boat unless you are doing it wrong.
Could be I'm full of it, but that's my experience

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,142 Posts
I seem to catch as many fish out of my tan hull as I did my black hulled skiff. Which seems crazy but seems to be true. Just get what you like.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts