HPX-V 17

Discussion in 'Bragging Spot' started by UnitedFly, Apr 3, 2017.

1. UnitedFly

UnitedFly Well-Known Member

Thanks Fritz.
    There's a little tab welded to the side of the platform that the Tibor mounts to, so it keeps it out of the way.

2. not2shabby

not2shabby Well-Known Member

Congrats! Thanks for sharing the build!

UnitedFly likes this.

3. Slug-O

Slug-O Active Member

That's just beautiful... I pick up my 18' Mav. Today...

Newman and UnitedFly like this.
  4. tailchaser16

tailchaser16 Well-Known Member

can you post a picture or two with the backrest mounting?

5. UnitedFly

Thanks Slug-O. Am sure you'll love it.

Tailchaser,
    When I get home Ill see if I cant get some pictures added.

duppyzafari likes this.
  6. UnitedFly

not2shabby and Slug-O like this.
  7. paint it black

paint it black Paddling away...

The skiff looks great man!!!! Congrats on the new sled!

UnitedFly likes this.
  8. not2shabby

not2shabby Well-Known Member

I'm assuming Mav makes that hardware for the backrest themselves? That's so awesome!

9. mangoman

mangoman I Love microskiff.com!

this type of backrest system is also available at Birdsall Marine.

UnitedFly and not2shabby like this.
  10. Limp Shrimp

Limp Shrimp Well-Known Member

That's a sharp looking combination.. The dialing in process of a brand new boat can be frustrating, but I'm sure you'll get it flying.. I would think your going to see more like mid to upper 50s though.. My HPX likes it a little rough, I've seen my best numbers when there's a good chop on the water..

UnitedFly likes this.
  11. tailchaser16

tailchaser16 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the pictures. Great looking sled!

UnitedFly likes this.
  12. UnitedFly

Thanks all.
    Finally got a push pole, so I was able to pole my buddy around a bit. Wind wasn't as bad as it has been, but were still getting hit with about a 15mph crosswind. Even with limited weight in the bow, there was zero hull slap. Its not quite as easy to push as my Strike was, but I wouldn't have any issue poling for hours at a time. Tracks straight when not getting blasted by excessive winds from the side, and spins with ease.
    Was following my friend around in his 24' Panga, and was able to keep up through the chop with no issues. Pretty much in love with this boat so far.

@Limp Shrimp
    I'm currently running a PTR3R18, hitting 45MPH (Yamaha gauges) at 5700RPM. I'm probably going to throw a Spitfire X7 19P 4blade on there and see what it does. Ill keep you posted.

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  13. Limp Shrimp

Limp Shrimp Well-Known Member

Even though I'm running a 19, I think I'm only hitting about 40 at those RPMs..

UnitedFly likes this.
  14. finsandflies

finsandflies Well-Known Member

Awesome skiff Unitedfly! I was wondering how do liked the PP caddy position on the welded tab? Any issues? I've got a HPX-S on order and have been going back and forth on whether to set it up the same way.

15. UnitedFly

Thank you much!
    I'm a fan. Keeps it off the platform and out of the way which is nice, and it looks really clean. So far I haven't noticed any clearance issues when being used. Doesnt seem to hit the platform at an angle, so that's good.

16. UnitedFly

Coming up on a year, and I'm still in love..

Squat.jpg

Attached Files:

17. Fritz

Fritz Well-Known Member

Top speed? That motor looks huge back there.

What do you cruise at? I'm guessing you can pull the throttle way back and loaf along at about 27 to 30 mph, burning maybe 3 gph, making that a wicked fast yet still quite economical skiff. Would love to see the power curve.

18. UnitedFly

Top speed with the prop I have (PTR3R18P) is 50-51MPH @ 6200RPM trimmed up with barely enough tab to keep the boat level. I'm usually cruising around 4800RPM, which from recollection is still right around 30MPH.
    I need to get some props for testing, as I know I can throw a Turbo1 23P on there and top out around 59MPH. Leaning more towards a 4 blade to get the lift I need to get up a little shallower.

I'm more impressed with the boats ability to chug through nasty conditions and keep the cockpit dry. Crossing Charlotte Harbor last weekend, waves were a consistant 3'+. Took a while to cross, but nose up and I barreled through them nice and easy.

FSUDrew99, Newman and Fritz like this.