Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you sell an older HPX-T to then turn around and buy an older whipray?

I have the HPX-T dialed in, jackplate, correct prop, can run and jump up skinny. Just debating in my head, I have always liked the older whipray.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,144 Posts
Why are you want to swap just aesthetics? Whip will prolly pole a little shallower and easier but it won’t run and get up in the same water as a tunnel skiff assuming your running it in south Texas.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im either going to update the maverick or sell and buy something else. Just wondering if anyone has made the switch and what performance is gained/lossed. I figure im not going to get anything that runs and jumps up as well as the maverick. Just thinking about options and looking for opinions.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
483 Posts
What's the steering configuration on the Whipray you are considering purchasing? How far south do you fish on a normal basis?

·
Registered
1999 Whipray, 2017 Tohatsu MFS50
719 Posts
I own a vintage Whipray (One of EvanHammer's Ex's) and for years my best fishing partner ran an HPX T, so I've fished both quite a bit...
Hole Shot - HPX
Shallow running - probably a push, though the HPX stays on plain at lower speed.
Chop - Slight nod to the Whip, but neither are great
Poling - Whipray and it's not close
Storeage - My Whip is a side console, so the CC HPX wins that one. Probably a push if both boats are CC
Ramp Appeal - Whipray and again, not close.
Resale - Whipray

·
Registered
987 Posts
Blah blah blah the maverick would probably run shallower....

That whipray is getting me all stirred up.... I would take that power pole off though

1 - 20 of 31 Posts