Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m leaving Texas in a month for a new job in Biloxi. Wondering if I should sell the HPXT in Texas and look for something else or just use and decide later. Looks like there is not to much sight fishing around Biloxi but the LA marsh and Florida is not to far of a drive.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I’d keep it. You are moving to one of the best site fishing areas on earth during the fall and winter months.

·
Registered
2013 Spyder FX17
86 Posts
Grew up in Biloxi and the Mississippi coast. If you go a little further east towards Pascagoula there’s some decent marsh to sight fish. Also on a clear, flat day you can make the 12-15 ish mile run to the barrier islands, water gets really clear out there certain times of the year. I live in New Orleans now, and the Louisiana marsh is tough to beat. It’s not a bad drive from Biloxi. My vote is keep that bad boy.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
11,598 Posts
Keep it, I have that hull and wouldn’t trade it for anything but maybe the 2010 or newer layout/layup and it’s been over there too.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Keep it and dont look past your new back yard. There are sight fishing options right there not to mention what's already been said.
One word of caution. Just be careful picking day to run to the barrier islands. The MS Sound gets confused seas very quickly.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
442 Posts
If you are intent on fishing the Florida panhandle, there are better boats for sure. Those bays can get pretty nasty and there's really no huge need for an ultimate shallow running/drafting boat. I can't speak to the LA marsh and the Biloxi area as much, but spent a lot of time fishing the FL panhandle. If I was moving back to the panhandle, I'd want a large flats boat or a small bay boat to take advantage of everything it has to offer - kings and cobia nearshore, snapper and grouper in the bay and within 10 miles of the pass, pompano sight fishing, redfish on the flats, bull redfish in the bay, trout on topwater that migrate toward the rivers in the fall/winter, sheepshead in the fall/winter, just to name a few.

I know that isn't necessarily what you were looking for, but I wanted to throw that out there. It's about as diverse a fishery as you can find if you want to take advantage of it. However, if you want to pick your days and fish reds and trout in Santa Rosa sound, Big Lagoon, the upper reaches of Escambia bay, your boat would be great.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,013 Posts
I'm gonna disagree with most here and say that if you can swing it, sell the HPX-T. You'll definitely have opportunities for sight-fishing but in those areas you're going to need to cross a lot of big water and that hull isn't well suited if conditions get sporty. Plus, you don't need to run as skinny as you do in much of Texas so the need for a tunnel over there is less.

If you can swing it I'd go for a bigger skiff. Something like an 18 HPX-V, or an East Cape Vantage or Evo. Maybe a HB Marquesa. I'm sure I'm forgetting some great options but those are the bigger water skiffs, basically, a skiff on the bigger side with a little more deadrise because you're not generally going to need a sub-8" poling draft. A 10-12" draft is plenty and a bigger skiff with some V and more horsepower hanging off the ass would be the ticket I believe.

While it's not remotely a poling skiff, if I was headed to Biloxi and going to fish the Gulf Islands National Seashore like Horn Island or Cat Island and the like regularly I would not have sold my Panga Marine 18 Evo.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you go a little further east towards Pascagoula there’s some decent marsh to sight fish.If you are intent on fishing the Florida panhandle, there are better boats for sure. Those bays can get pretty nasty and there's really no huge need for an ultimate shallow running/drafting boat.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Keep it and decide later. You’ll have to pick your days but that boat will run across and there’s plenty of inside stuff that you’ll want a skinny water skiff for.

·
Registered
217 Posts
There is a guys that fishes those areas in a Ankona Cayenne, his name is Jon Miller, not sure if he's a member of this forum, but he has a youtube channel. He makes runs out to the Chandeleur Islands etc., and seems to do ok (he picks his days of course). I've been on the waiting list about a year for a Salt Marsh Heron 16, but I go back and forth on if it's the right boat for the areas i'll fish (same areas as you). I'm concerned it might be too limiting in open water, which there is a lot of. The area is dominated by smaller center consoles and bay boats.

·
Registered
2013 Spyder FX17
86 Posts
There is a guys that fishes those areas in a Ankona Cayenne, his name is Jon Miller, not sure if he's a member of this forum, but he has a youtube channel. He makes runs out to the Chandeleur Islands etc., and seems to do ok (he picks his days of course). I've been on the waiting list about a year for a Salt Marsh Heron 16, but I go back and forth on if it's the right boat for the areas i'll fish (same areas as you). I'm concerned it might be too limiting in open water, which there is a lot of. The area is dominated by smaller center consoles and bay boats.
Running to Chandeleur in a Cayenne takes some balls... that’s closer to a 30 mile run

·
Registered
146 Posts
You can fish chandelier and the Biloxi marsh in your boat and it is great for that. We run to
Chandelier often in skiffs. It’s a great trip.

·
Registered
Just livin’ my life easy come easy go...
827 Posts
“we’re good!...We’re good!”...’cause no-one wants to get towed further than needed (esp by a smaller boat).

“Be a trout”...exactly...unless it is the shitass adolescent that messes a shot on a big fish.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts