How would you repair this?

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by fsae99, Apr 16, 2012.

1. fsae99

fsae99 I Love microskiff.com!

I hit a log Saturday on the Suwannee, and put these 2 gouges in my boat. I need to repair this quickly to get back to fishing. from the outside in it appears the boat is constructed of woven roving, sheet balsa, foam, and then roving. These gouges did not get through the foam. The bottom gouges is 4.5".

[​IMG]

2. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Dry thoroughly, sand all loose or broken material off.
    Sand off gelcoat down to bare fiberglass 4 inches in all directions from holes.
    Reglass, sand smooth, refinish. Couple/three evenings work.

3. jms

jms don't let common sense get in your way

can't really tell by those pictures...

but...

you're gonna have to grind out the damaged areas - and remove the antifouling paint,from anywhere near the area to be repaired.

the damage appears to have not "gone through" - but,without really seeing it,it's tough to call...

balsa coring,you're really gonna want to perform that repair with an epoxy,polyester based resins - the cheap stuff with the styrene smell, are not waterproof - epoxy is - epoxy also is absorbed by pours wood - if the balsa coring is damaged,and creates a void when the damaged area is ground out,you can make a thickened epoxy mix,using a good additive such as west system 403 adhesive - this will provide a good "gap filling" mix,cover the areas in a epoxy compatable matting - chop strand matting typically isn't compatable with epoxy.be sure to remove all the blush from the epoxy,when applying gel coat to match - amine blush is removed with soap and water only...
    using a "seperation coat" of duratec surfacer is an excellent technique,this process serves 2 purposes - first,the duratec fills any and all pin holes that form,from the curing process,and 2nd,the duratec provides a good adhesion of the gel coat to the epoxy...this is the process is use,as just about 90% of the repairs i perform are using epoxy resins.

there's other ways to make that repair,but,the steps i described are what i would do...

take note: if you go through to the foam,you're left with no choice,but to also repair on the inside of that damage - a surface repair will provide no structual integrity...

again,not trying to make this out to be a giant project - it's just tough to tell the extent of the damage via a picture on the internet...

4. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

Very good advice!
    Especially about the use of duratec to get the gelcoat to bond to epoxy.

Kreepa: i have heard that gelcoat will bond to west system epoxy only (if the surface is sanded and prepped properly) is this true?

5. jms

jms don't let common sense get in your way

gel coat will bond to west system,provided the amine blush is removed with soap and water,and the surface is prepped - just grinding,or sanding doesn't remove the blush,only soap and water does...

6. fsae99

Well, I did not feel good about doing it myself so I paid some one to do it for me. 250.00 to fix the gouges, buff the entire boat, bottom paint, done in 5 days, and even picked up and returned the boat to me. Neighbor noticed the boat gone and when I got it back asked if I bought another boat just like the old one but much newer.

I took the picture with light just right to make the repair stand out, dead center of picture. I'm happy with it.

[​IMG]

7. redfish5

redfish5 I Love microskiff.com!

Looks good, where did you take it to get done?

8. fsae99

A local guy that had done work on boats for a couple people I know. Not sure about posting people's name and # on the inter web without their permission PM me and I will give you his name and #.

He works at bath craft in Valdosta so he is a professional Fiberglass guy.