Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a Griff Skiff (probably the 16'-wide version, for fishing in the rivers surrounding Ft. Myers, or Pine Island/Matlacha area. Please offer guidance on T/M set-up, electronics, Power Pole (micro?) set-up, and poling platform/casting platform configuration. Lastly, does anyone know if the storage hatches can be plumbed for a livewell/baitwell? Is that recommended? Thank you for any/all replies!
I have one about 10 years older with a side console and I love it! Very functional boat that floats skinny. GLWS

·
I Love microskiff.com!
203 Posts
Patrick, I have owned mine for 3 years now and have gradually rigged it out the "balling on a budget" way based on resources I had access to at the time.

I fabricated my own poling platform with some handrail tubing and tread plate in the scrap pile at work, plasma cut a 3/16 ALM plate to sit over the back deck and extend to the transom. This concealed the fuel tank and battery while providing a bigger rear deck for standing comfortably.

The owner before me was a serious speck fisherman so I had to remove about what felt like a thousand rod holders and replace with 4 black ones. The previous owner drilled a 1/2" hole straight through the bottom of the hull in one of the midship compartments. Believe it or not, this method of "plumbing" the livewell will keep two redfish and bait alive all day. As long as you are not sitting in one spot with no water flow for a long time. The movement on the water and pitch movements of the boat keep water flowing in and out. Obviously this is not the most kosher way to have a functioning LW but it works.

I have done a handful of other customizations and can send you some pictures if you like. The boat itself rides just like you would think a flat bottomed skiff should so don't have any false illusions of an easy ride in chop. I have taken mine on multiple 120+ mile trips into the Glades, around just about every mangrove island in the Northern ML, out of Crystal River to catch snook and scallops and spearfish, and now she resides up in the forgotten coast dodging rocks oyster bars.

TLDR : Fantastic, easy to customize, shallow drafting, flat bottomed skiff for the budget angler, first time skiff owner. Obviously I am biased because I love mine dearly and it was my first skiff purchase.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
203 Posts
I do plan on eventually ripping mine completely apart to replace all the wood with foam core and changing the overall layout to something of a more conventional skiff

·
Banned
1,441 Posts
I’d set up a cooler style live well I like being able to remove them.
A small battery powered “ bubbler” would be all you need for existing box. Lots of built in live wells on aluminum boat are plumbed that way. Keep it simple, you’ll use it more

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’d set up a cooler style live well I like being able to remove them.
A small battery powered “ bubbler” would be all you need for existing box. Lots of built in live wells on aluminum boat are plumbed that way. Keep it simple, you’ll use it more
Could you please suggest a size/range of cooler? Thanks!

·
Banned
1,441 Posts
Depends on the skiff & somewhat on size of live bait you fish
Nothing from nothing , long and narrow , Ive got a couple old coolers I use depending . suction cup aerator. Cold water keeps bait longer , I like to freeze creek water to add to live well , especially in summer I Use 3 lb Folgers coffee containers

·
Banned
906 Posts
I'm looking at a Griff Skiff (probably the 16'-wide version, for fishing in the rivers surrounding Ft. Myers, or Pine Island/Matlacha area. Please offer guidance on T/M set-up, electronics, Power Pole (micro?) set-up, and poling platform/casting platform configuration. Lastly, does anyone know if the storage hatches can be plumbed for a livewell/baitwell? Is that recommended? Thank you for any/all replies!
Keep it simple at first and add things as YOU find a need. You can go broke adding things you don't need. What are you going to power it with?

·
Premium Member
2,152 Posts
I'm in the process of getting a little 17' sea nymph ready for fishing SF Bay, Launching out of Half Moon bay and also out of Tamales bay. Since i might be having company once in a while I thinking to rework the front deck and cut down a 30 gallon plastic drum to fit for live bait, (mostly anchovies and sometimes "shiners". i'll plum it with a sureflow pump.
Don't need any real fancy eletronics in my boat but if I were to be fishing south of Marco I get a quality GPS and one that that works with Navionics or if there's something better. That would be great for a newbie to that area and the glades.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Depends on the skiff & somewhat on size of live bait you fish
Nothing from nothing , long and narrow , Ive got a couple old coolers I use depending . suction cup aerator. Cold water keeps bait longer , I like to freeze creek water to add to live well , especially in summer I Use 3 lb Folgers coffee containers
Thanks! Love the frozen creek water idea!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm in the process of getting a little 17' sea nymph ready for fishing SF Bay, Launching out of Half Moon bay and also out of Tamales bay. Since i might be having company once in a while I thinking to rework the front deck and cut down a 30 gallon plastic drum to fit for live bait, (mostly anchovies and sometimes "shiners". i'll plum it with a sureflow pump.
Don't need any real fancy eletronics in my boat but if I were to be fishing south of Marco I get a quality GPS and one that that works with Navionics or if there's something better. That would be great for a newbie to that area and the glades.
Everytime I look at Craig'slist I see a few of those Sea Nymphs for sale, and they look like such a solid boat. My first boat was a tank of a Richland 16' semi-v, and I always kind of lusted after those Sea Nymphs. Cutting down a plastic drum for a live/bail weii makes a lot of sense. I really appreciate the recommendation of a GPS with the Navionics interface. Fishing around Marco is a long way from the Lake of the Ozarks, my home lake. Best of luck with your build. I love that area around SF - had a lot of family in the Pacifica area, and up in Ft. Bragg.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's rated for a 40. Are you getting the side console or the tiller version?
I understood that the "16 wide" version was rated higher? If not then 40hp it is. With the placement of the 2 large hatches eating a lot of space on the deck, I'm leaning toward a tiller set up.

·
Banned
906 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would get a good trailer. By good I mean something that does not need to be redone every few years. I got a not so good one when I bought my boat. Lesson learned.
Would you please elaborate on the trailer? I don't know much at all about that yet. What features do I for certain need/want? What should I stay away from? I really appreciate your time and insights!

·
Banned
906 Posts
Would you please elaborate on the trailer? I don't know much at all about that yet. What features do I for certain need/want? What should I stay away from? I really appreciate your time and insights!
My trailer was purchased with the hull and was made Rocket trailers in Ft. Myers. It's galvanized but many of the parts started rusting immediately. I'm not knocking Rocket. At the time of purchase, I never gave the trailer much thought. It's time to have it re-done but I'm going to go look into an aluminum trailer with better bearings.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts