Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
In the process of trying to learn how to hand draw boat designs and translate them into offset tables. Part of the process was pulling the data on about 30 different production boats coming up with generic length/beam ratios., looking to see if there was some kind of sweet spot. The average Was 2.9624:1, with the highest I found being Drake's insanely overpriced Outlaw at 3.5xx:1. On the low side was the Maverick 15HPX at 2.36:1. Didn’t include the Dade, who probably has one of the highest ratios with the taper they use, something like 36” at the stern. This is all off max beam, of course, not chine beam. The interesting thing is that until you get to extremes, it doesn’t seem to make a tremendous difference in speed among most production skiffs. Hard to be certain as everyone advertises different motor sizes. Dade certainly exchanged draft for speed, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing when you only float 5” anyway.

Mine sits somewhere around 44” at the chines.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,001 Posts
Get back to us after you've measured - not with the numbers - just a description of your wife's reaction when you try. We just want to know that you survived. :)

I'm good. Just had my full-length cast replaced by a removable brace.

Reactions: hawkman

·
I Love microskiff.com!
573 Posts
In the process of trying to learn how to hand draw boat designs and translate them into offset tables. Part of the process was pulling the data on about 30 different production boats coming up with generic length/beam ratios., looking to see if there was some kind of sweet spot. The average Was 2.9624:1, with the highest I found being Drake's insanely overpriced Outlaw at 3.5xx:1. On the low side was the Maverick 15HPX at 2.36:1. Didn’t include the Dade, who probably has one of the highest ratios with the taper they use, something like 36” at the stern. This is all off max beam, of course, not chine beam. The interesting thing is that until you get to extremes, it doesn’t seem to make a tremendous difference in speed among most production skiffs. Hard to be certain as everyone advertises different motor sizes. Dade certainly exchanged draft for speed, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing when you only float 5” anyway.

Mine sits somewhere around 44” at the chines.
The problem is the measurements are largely meaningless as the part of the boat above the water doesn’t have much effect. Sure, there is reserve bouyancy, how dry it rides, wind surface, etc, but 2 boats that each measure 17’10” with a 72” beam could have 12” different waterline beams. Same thing with the bow, if you look at a lot of pictures, some boats have almost 3’ of bow out of the water even at rest, due to where it starts sloping upward. Compare that with something like the plumb bow and it’s a huge difference.

My boat is 17’10” with a 59” beam. Max bottom width is 48”, chimes at the stern are 44”.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts