How to treat a new net

Discussion in 'General Fishing' started by firecat1981, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Josh Stewart

Josh Stewart Well-Known Member

I agree with this. I spoke with the owner of Calusa Cast nets, Buster McKenzie, a few weeks ago. A fishing gear and apparel shop I work with, www.livetofish.com purchased a number of his nets. I used to soak my cast nets in fabric softener every few months. He said the same thing this Santa Claus fellow said - that it's actually quite harmful to the net; and to avoid soaking the net in any chemical more than once or twice; at most.

2. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

Thanks guys. I honestly have not seriously looked for bait around here in nearly a decade. I've been a shrimp soaker, or jig guy for a while.

So is the consensus to keep this net? (9ft 3/8")

If so, any tips on finding bigger bait so this doesn't happen again?

Josh Stewart likes this.

3. Megalops

Megalops Rex Kwan Do Dojo

If you're throwing that shallow, get the 1/4. I'm mostly throwing in 6 to 15ft and I sight it on my depth finder. You'll be amazed how far off structure the bait can be sometimes if they're not being nailed by predatory action. Also, the deeper bait can't see the net that well (at least in Tampa) and tends to be larger. I'd make the decision where you will be fishing mostly and based on your past history of gps tracks, you're super shallow so I'd go for the 1/4. My buddy has a 10ft Tim Wade 1/4 that he had Tim add extra weight. Just my 0.02.

4. firecat1981

Well I did decide to return the net, and I got a different one. Now don't laugh, but I ended up with a 6ft 1/4" mesh net. Reason is that they didn't have the 8fter I wanted, actually they don't even carry one at any price point. I figure worst case is I have to toss it a few more times.

Now that being said I am taking the advice here, and I will end up with 2 nets soon. The 6fter is so light and small I can store it in the same bucket as a bigger net. I would like a 3/8" 8ft later on, cause that's as big as I want to manage on my skiff. Now again, don't laugh, but after a chat with a friend I looked on Offer Up and LetGo. There are a bunch of guys looking to unload the same nets I'm buying for less then half price, most have only been used a time or two. Some are even still sealed in the buckets. So I'll go that route instead of paying bass pro.

makin moves likes this.
  5. lemaymiami

lemaymiami Well-Known Member

Here's one last tip about nets... If you'll look in one paint store or other (even a big box DIY store) you might get lucky enough to find a bucket specifically made for painting with a big amount of paint..). What I'm talking about will have a wider mouth than it's base -but still hold the same amount a five gallon bucket will hold...

Here's how to use it - you can store two (sometimes even three) nets in the same bucket -but where it really shines is when you use it to download the bait in your net - before dropping the bait into your livewell. Empty the bucket of nets, then fill it halfway with water before you toss your net. Once you've loaded your net drop your bait into the bucket - before placing it in your livewell... That allows you to pick out weeds and other debris - as well as remove any surprises (a four inch crab or a catfish in your well will turn into a nasty surprise if you don't know it's there...). When the bait's in your bucket you'll find it a lot easier to pour into the well than try to fit your net into whatever size your baitwell hatch is... When you're done with your netting - put the used net in the bottom of the bucket and any un-used nets on top where they'll stay clean....

The only time I don't follow this routine is with mullet of any size (small or large) since they're much better downloaded from your net directly into the well (mullet will jump out of anything you put them in so a bucket adds trouble you don't need....).

Hope this helps (and if I had a booking today I wouldn't be writing this...).

6. Megalops

IMG_2183.JPG Firecat look out for these bastards. Two very poisonous spines on back and two on belly. When they're larger they're much easier to get out net. Just saying this because the juvenile leatherbacks school with the size bait you're catching. A puncture from one of these is killer, much worse than a cat prick.

makin moves likes this.
  7. firecat1981

Yep, had a few in the net. For some reason we always called them skip Jacks even though I know that's not the name.

I went looking for a bucket like your talking about. I came up empty. HD used to sell a 3 gal that was as wide as a 5, but shorter. All they had was a 2 gal, that was narrow and short. I'll go look at Lowes when I can.

8. Megalops

Firecat I apologize for the errata. Should be leatherjacket. Or skip jack like ya said. Let's get together sometime I'll throw Ducknut in skiff and we'll throw bait like west coast guides.

makin moves likes this.
  9. firecat1981

Lol, no need to apologize, you guys have been more then helpful.

Let me survive scallop season and we will see what we can do, lol.

10. fjmaverick

fjmaverick Well-Known Member

I use a 3 gallon bucket for mine. I think I got mine from west marine. I got the gamma seal from amazon and ordered the rope handle. Works great to transport bait too.

Attached Files:

11. firecat1981

Sooo, I actually read the directions for the net. It says before using it "let net soak 10-12 hours in water and dishwater detergent to soften before using."

I'm assuming dishwater detergent is like Dawn, which seems contrary to most thinking?

It also says under care and maintenance "rinse your net with freshwater and soak in mild detergent. Rinse excess detergent from the net and hang to dry."

12. tjtfishon

tjtfishon Well-Known Member

About 6 weeks ago I gave up on my 3/8" net due to mostly fry baits in the water. I used a 1/4" a couple of times, but those small baits, while easy to find/attract/catch don't live too long and don't stay on a hook alive very long and don't cast worth a crap. So I've been using artificials exclusively for a little bit and killing it...so much so that I'm not sure I will go back to predominantly fishing live bait. I've always though that winter was the best time to use artis, but even with all the bait around for the fish to eat, I've really done well tossing plastics and hard baits.
    Anyway, if you get another net (don't exchange it...keep the 3/8") get a smaller 1/4' you will catch more bait than you will need with a 6' 1/4" net and it will be easier to store and throw.

13. permitchaser

permitchaser I Love Skinny Water

I hang my net by the horn from my deck. Wash it with a hose, let it dry, roll it up and store it in my downstairs garage
    I always catch bait I see in shallow water.

14. yobata

yobata I Love microskiff.com!

Mild soap = Johnsen & Johnsen baby shampoo?