How to stop drain plug seepage?

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by Yoreese, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Yoreese

Yoreese I Love microskiff.com!

I have a screw-in drain plug with rubber O-ring and it is seeping a little water during the day. The o-ring looks in good shape is there any trick to making them seal better? This style of plug seems to be used on East Cape and HB boats so I'm sure someone has experience with this issue. Thanks, Maurice

2. cal1320

cal1320 Well-Known Member

I just use a rubber flip type inside the boat. If you get any water inside you can pull the plug while running and it drains.

3. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

are you sure it's the plug that is leaking and not the fitting itself?

4. Yoreese

Hard to tell but I'm trying to eliminate the easy stuff first. My first thoughts are the O-ring might be worn or getting hard and dry. Maybe WD-40 or petroleum jelly to soften the rubber?

5. mark_gardner

mark_gardner I Love microskiff.com!

i would wrap the threads with some teflon tape or paste, replace the o rings if they are questionable. if that doesnt work i'd be looking at the fitting as the culprit

6. Un-shore

Un-shore Well-Known Member

10-4 on the teflon tape, it will seal the threads and you will not have to put a lot of pressure on the o-ring.

The problem with softening up the o-ring with petro jelly, if it is rubber, is that it will deteriorate much faster and fail.

I use, probably over use, dielectric grease on a lot of rubber seals as well as electrical connectors for a better seal and it won't eat the rubber. It is silicon and you have to be careful what you get it on because it is hard to clean off and paint won't stick to whatever you touch, and it gets spread around if you have it on your fingers more than you think.

7. Swamp

Swamp I Love microskiff.com!

Use a non petroleum based product like silicon paste. Petroleum will eat rubber not designed to deal with it. I've used the o-ring type plugs, I don't like them. The only advantage is if they are all plastic and in an very corrosive environment like acid etc. I'd switch to a normal boat plug and see if that does not solve your problem, they are cheap enough.

8. Yoreese

Mine is a non-removable screw in type that looks to be chromed brass.

9. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

This type? If so, obtain a fatter o-ring.
    Replace the old one, easy to do.

10. Swamp

Swamp I Love microskiff.com!

Got ya. I agree, probably time for a new O-ring. The silicone grease is still the lube of choice though.

11. paint it black

paint it black Paddling away...

It might be removeable.
    Mine is.
    Unscrew it, pull it out further and keep unscrewing it.
    I think mine might have a tiny leak on my skiff, but I supplied that to Mel off my old tri hull skiff.
    Because I don't like those pesky little rubber flip type plugs.
    It never allowed water with the old rubber flip style plug.
    This one, I always have a tiny bit of water after the day.