Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I have a Gheenoe LT25 with a Yamaha 20hp tiller four stroke, short shaft. Whenever I am driving through any type of seaweed on the surface, I'm almost guaranteed to have it get stuck in the intake, forcing me to stop and shake it off the engine.

Would adding a jack plate with a set back help eliminate this process? If not, what will?

Thank you!

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
I don’t think it will help. I have one. When the lagoon had grass and it matted up and would float on surface I would have to stop as well. But that was huge amount which is no longer present. Only happened a few times. Just try to avoid it.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I too have a jack plate on my boat and it still gets stuck when grass is thick. Floating sea grass is just a big pain for fishing and running.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
685 Posts
I have had many a frustrating summer day when the floating grass is thick. I had a classic with a 4 inch setback jackplate and there were days I couldn't run 20 yards without getting grassed up and starting to overheat. It was really frustrating. Dudes with flats boats and deeper draft stuff didn't even worry about grass but I had a really hard time making long runs in the summer time.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
160 Posts
We had that problem with a 16' Sea Ark with a tunnel. We put a jack plate on it so the motor could be lowered when running in deeper water when there was a lot of grass. Still have the problem if running shallow with the jack plate up, but in deep water, it cured the problem running with the plate down.

·
Banned
12,342 Posts
hey! where is the new and improved low water pickup design?
Still on my boat kicking ass. Working with a prop guy that has access to tools and resources to pump some out in bulk once we get them out of prototype stage. Mine has been flawless even in back lakes jacked all the way up in 90+ degree water. No hot horn.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts